Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carburettor replacement
Hi all,
I will put it out there- I’m no mechanic so tinkering, adjusting and fine tuning are not in my vocabulary. I leave this to the experts.
My 1974 2l type 2 kombi needs a new carburettor. I have had mixed advice on what to get.
I have been told to get Weber 34 or 40 ICT – is there much difference between these and which would be the better option?
Then I’ve been informed to stay away from these and get the stock standard- but know one seems to be able to supply these. The other comment has been stay away from the Brazilian made parts.
Comments and advice most welcome- I want her back on the road!
Thanks in advance.
I am just about to receive a set of fully rebuilt carbies and a 123+ distributor from 1500King at The Volksdoctor. I have found his work to be spot on. He will make sure the numbers match on the carbies to what motor and transmission you have - they are different carbies between manual and autos, etc - the ones that you have - can they be rebuilt, are they original?
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
X2 for Melissa’s post and recommendations…..
If your motor is stock, best option in my opinion, is to return the matching components to stock.
Once your base line is established, you should have trouble free motoring for a very long time….
The efficient VW engine relies on everything being matched……that means distributor, carbs. and exhaust.
Swap something out and there is a knock on effect that has to be accounted for.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I had my VW stock standard Solex carburetor and Bosch distributor rebuilt by Andrew (1500king) VolksDoktor in Adelaide.
https://www.facebook.com/VolksDoktor/
It made a big difference to the drivability of my Kombi - I am very pleased with the result.
1971 Sopru aka Doob
You could go left field and add an LPG conversion. It doesn't care what condition the carbies are in as long as there are no air leaks .... that was the path I chose over 15 yrs ago and I'm still happy I went down that way, the 1000 + km range with both tanks full certainly isn't a drawback  Wink

T1 Terry
(11-03-2023, 07:25 AM)Funkki Kombi Wrote: My 1974 2l type 2 kombi needs a new carburettor. I have had mixed advice on what to get.
I have been told to get Weber 34 or 40 ICT – is there much difference between these and which would be the better option?

FK
Just to clear something up - a 74 kombi “should” be an 1800 with dual Solex 32-34 PDSIT carburettors. 

Do you have dual carbs? Or has it been swapped out for a single?

Do you know if your motor is an 1800 or 2 L 
The dual carbs are slightly different between the 2 motors

There are dual Weber 34 ICT’s
There isn’t 40’s 
There are dual Weber 40 IDF’s. 

The dual Weber 34 ICT’s is a common replacement for stock carbs. 
Especially in England. 

The dual Weber 40 IDF’s are good carbs. 
This is what I run - but generally you need a healthy cammed up fresh motor. 
The IDF’s will add HP and if your motor is tired you will only kill it quicker. 

With the ICT’s and IDF’s - if they are not Webers don’t touch them. 
There are copies out there and generally they are rubbish. 

That all said - 1500 King is the best place to start.
He REALLY knows his stuff
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy