Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Early Days....Gaining Restoration Skills - MotorRetro
Thanks David….. Cool
Next episode will be after Bus Sop now.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Great read Mark and excellent for learning new stuff. 
I started welding in high school and have had more basic learning through 2 trade courses at tafe and spent many hours sticking metal together for work and hobby, yet when I joined the metal fabrication course at our local tafe I found I was still a mediocre welder!
There's nothing like working and learning with craftsmen to improve your skills.
Thanks Terry, my next session will be at the end of May…..MotorRetro has Masterclasses on until then….
Cheers,
Mark

At last....an update !!
Due to more travelling and family commitments, I have not been able to get to MotorRetro to continue my learning......until yesterday !!
I was like a kid anticipating school holidays....just couldn't wait to get back amongst it  Big Grin
As I mentioned previously, the next step in my last challenge test was to replicate a rust repair. 

A 100mm x 100mm corned was cut off my panel :

Then, I had to re-radius (2 ways) a piece of flat 1mm steel to match the profile and fold the corners up at 90 degrees.

After that, I had to fit the repair section to the original panel, ensuring that everything was square, in line and parallel before TIG-ging in place.

In my haste to get welding again, I really did not spend the proper amount of time aligning the long edge of the section.....this would cost me 4 hours in stretching and shrinking later on.
Valuable lesson learned: DON"T RUSH FITTING OF SECTIONS !!
So, hours of planishing hammer, slapper and dolly work saw the finished product in sight....

As Vaughan said, " Hey, you learned a valuable lesson.......and you were able to recover the project ..."
I had to agree !......and another reason why doing this sort of Workshop is so valuable. Learning the pitfalls and how to recover will be invaluable when I start on the kombi.

I got the Project to about 95% complete and Vaughan said that he was happy with my progress and that he thought I was now ready to start on my kombi.

I can't recommend this place highly enough...( I know, I know, scratched record syndrome.... Tongue) The staff, equipment and workshop facilities make the Learning as easy as possible and whilst it was not without a few frustrating moments, I really, really enjoyed the experience.
Next Saturday I'm back to start on some rust repairs in the front wheel tubs.....and I'll start a separate Thread for that journey.

Hope this has helped a few people gain an insight into the skills required to properly work on a bus....
For the best possible outcomes, the process in my experience has certainly been more than Cut, MIG, Grind, Fill and Paint !!
Cheers,
Mark

I've always wanted to do more with these guys when they where at Seven Hill's, still very tempted to do it.  
Are you going to do rust repairs at there workshop?
Have they mentioned doing work on your car, that you can't get to the other side of the panel? Using stud welders (pullers) etc
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(19-06-2023, 06:37 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: I've always wanted to do more with these guys when they where at Seven Hill's, still very tempted to do it.  
Are you going to do rust repairs at there workshop?
Have they mentioned doing work on your car, that you can't get to the other side of the panel? Using stud welders (pullers) etc

Yes Wayne, until I’m 100% confident, I’ll be doing the work at their Workshop in Northmead.
They have absolutely every piece of equipment imaginable for any body repair/restoration challenge.
A big plus for me is that they are on hand and willing to advise/help out if I need assistance.
Vaughan and Georgio always welcome folks for a look around if you’re in the area.
You’d find it very hard not to buy hours once you see what they offer….. Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark