Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safari Window Failure
Well Little Red's drivers side safari window has failed again. These are Creative safaris that I fitted in 2011. The frames are aluminium but the hinges are stainless and they were glued. You may remember the infamous "Manly" incident where I had a kid pull down on the open window despite me yelling multiple times at him not to touch it - that was my passenger side so I removed them and reglued them. At my last wedding at the start of December, I made the mistake of not supporting both brackets when I had the drivers window open when she was parked in the sun - the glue gave way and now I need to fix it again.

I contacted Creative Engineering in the UK to ask them what they recommend I use - they suggest that I send my window tops back to them and they will weld a new hinge on and supply new glass seals for the very reasonable price of 35 UK pounds each - apparently they have been doing this for the last 9 years - only thing is I am really scared that they might get lost in the mail or take 6 months to turnaround. We are thinking of going to the UK in December - should I just glue it back and hope it lasts until later in the year then send them over and collect them in person? 

Anyone else done this?
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Tried talking to Squidy ….?
If he doesn’t know, one of his DSK buddies would……
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(24-01-2023, 05:00 PM)Melissa Wrote: Well Little Red's drivers side safari window has failed again. These are Creative safaris that I fitted in 2011. The frames are aluminium but the hinges are stainless and they were glued. You may remember the infamous "Manly" incident where I had a kid pull down on the open window despite me yelling multiple times at him not to touch it - that was my passenger side so I removed them and reglued them. At my last wedding at the start of December, I made the mistake of not supporting both brackets when I had the drivers window open when she was parked in the sun - the glue gave way and now I need to fix it again.

I contacted Creative Engineering in the UK to ask them what they recommend I use - they suggest that I send my window tops back to them and they will weld a new hinge on and supply new glass seals for the very reasonable price of 35 UK pounds each - apparently they have been doing this for the last 9 years - only thing is I am really scared that they might get lost in the mail or take 6 months to turnaround. We are thinking of going to the UK in December - should I just glue it back and hope it lasts until later in the year then send them over and collect them in person? 

Anyone else done this?

if the window suround is aluminium and the hinge is stainless steel then they can't be welded
would be good to have a stainless window surround and stainless hinge's
Thats what I thought too Rick - maybe the replacement hinge is not stainless?

They have replied again to a further email from me (letting them know I was in Aus) saying: 

Hello Melissa, I realised that after I had sent you an email.
The Glue you need will be F246 Permabond adhhesive made by loctite. 
Both sides of the hinge need to be free of all old glue and must not have any grease from fingers 

Kind Regards Mandy CE

PS look forward to the safaris being repaired in December
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
That stuff reads pretty good. 

Needs activator to set it off
Goes off pretty quick

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/be/en/p..._f246.html

https://www.rowetrading.com.au/product/p...mAQAvD_BwE
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
You can bond it together with sikaflex Mel
Thanks Barry - I am suspicious that Loctite doesn't sell the F246 in Australia - its not on their website.
Scott picked up some 263 Super Stud Lock Threadlocker - that will have to do until Christmas - which I think it will.
(25-01-2023, 06:59 PM)DakDak67 Wrote: You can bond it together with sikaflex Mel

Thanks Chris Wink
And the key to absolute cleanliness, to allow any adhesive to attain maximum bond, is to throughly scrub both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, a couple of times……

Spray bottles available at Bunnings, or similar paint places.  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
I second sikaflex