Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally buying a radiator
Hi all, happy new year!

Now that the Christmas madness is done I'm finally pulling the van back out to get it on the road again. Its still overheating so she's been parked up for while.

Now, I've looked around and its hard to find rads with the thicker core. They either are 30mm or are priced higher and don't mention the core depth but the "Forst" ones from Heritage Parts have been the cheapest so far. I switched to the UK site to see reviews/questions and two people had asked about size. Here is the answer from them.

"Brass bleed screw and the insert are included. The radiator is not brazed, Rad Core -50.5mm thick. Aluminum and plastic construction.
Answer by: Max Ayling on 10 Jan 2022, 10:17"

Core size sounds great, most i've found seem to have plastic tanks ? and i have no idea if braised or non braised is better ? any advice? gotta be better than my clogged one at least.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/0...iator.html

Will cost about $300 shipped or I spend up on other things because orders over $400 are free delivery. I've ordered plenty from here before and always had a good experience.

Thanks.
Hopefully Phil will stick his nose in. 

Anyway - I trust Brickwerks for T3 parts

This one is 42mm which I believe is the “good” size
Not heard of 50mm

Pretty sure mine is 42. 
Definitely no 30

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/radiato...ternative/
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(22-01-2023, 03:08 PM)Barry Wrote: Hopefully Phil will stick his nose in. 

Anyway - I trust Brickwerks for T3 parts

This one is 42mm which I believe is the “good” size
Not heard of 50mm

Pretty sure mine is 42. 
Definitely no 30

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/radiato...ternative/

Thanks, I’ll check it out and wait for some more replies. I have heard of 50mm core before, in fact, the Hella branded ones on Mick Motors are 50mm but they have been
Out of stock as long as I can remember.

Cheers.
(22-01-2023, 06:57 PM)Azzman1000 Wrote: Thanks, I’ll check it out and wait for some more replies. I have heard of 50mm core before, in fact, the Hella branded ones on Mick Motors are 50mm but they have been
Out of stock as long as I can remember.
Cheers.

Always been a tricky topic this one.
My hands-on radiator experience is limited to two radiators ... a 1989 OEM and a 2015 aftermarket BEHR/HELLA.
Have today revisited the used OEM on my workbench. I replaced it with the BEHR/HELLA some 6-7 years ago.

Two radiator comparisons:

OEM part# 068 121 253 E stamped VW/AUDI vs South African BEHR/HELLA part# 8MK 376 713 631
The BEHR/HELLA is an exact replacement fit for the space and fastenings.
Both OEM and BEHR have vertical plastic tanks at each side.
OEM radiator core is exactly 47mm, NOT 50mm as often incorrectly stated/assumed.
OEM top & bottom radiator alloy FRAMES measure exactly 50mm width (hence confusion re original CORE width).
OEM quality of core construction in my view presents as superior to the BEHR/HELLA.
OEM has 42 horizontal coolant flow tubes, BEHR has 44 (perhaps smaller capacity per tube.)
OEM foils surrounding tubes present as MUCH more robust. BEHR foils by comparison are flimsy so easily damaged.

Located vertically midway on both sides of the OEM is a metal bump strip to protect the core when fitting/removing the radiator. These are missing from the aftermarket BEHR. So I easily transferred the OEM bump strips to the BEHR/HELLA.

Following the BEHR/HELLA radiator install, I took the opportunity to fit a critical replacement baffle set as seen here:
https://gowesty.com/products/radiator-ba...a609&_ss=r

If nothing else, I've confirmed here the width of the OEM radiator core as fitted to all official import T3's into Australia as being 47mm (so NOT 50mm). This number offers a guide for buyers to compare radiator core widths of any/all aftermarket replacements. The problem I found when buying was accepting what the the seller states (probably wrong) compared to actually measuring the core width yourself before committing to buy. There have been plenty of mistakes made in the past.  Cool

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(24-01-2023, 01:09 PM)maccas Wrote: Always been a tricky topic this one.
My hands-on radiator experience is limited to two radiators ... a 1989 OEM and a 2015 aftermarket BEHR/HELLA.
Have today revisited the used OEM on my workbench. I replaced it with the BEHR/HELLA some 6-7 years ago.

Two radiator comparisons:

OEM part# 068 121 253 E stamped VW/AUDI vs South African BEHR/HELLA part# 8MK 376 713 631
The BEHR/HELLA is an exact replacement fit for the space and fastenings.
Both OEM and BEHR have vertical plastic tanks at each side.
OEM radiator core is exactly 47mm, NOT 50mm as often incorrectly stated/assumed.
OEM top & bottom radiator alloy FRAMES measure exactly 50mm width (hence confusion re original CORE width).
OEM quality of core construction in my view presents as superior to the BEHR/HELLA.
OEM has 42 horizontal coolant flow tubes, BEHR has 44 (perhaps smaller capacity per tube.)
OEM foils surrounding tubes present as MUCH more robust. BEHR foils by comparison are flimsy so easily damaged.

Located vertically midway on both sides of the OEM is a metal bump strip to protect the core when fitting/removing the radiator. These are missing from the aftermarket BEHR. So I easily transferred the OEM bump strips to the BEHR/HELLA.

Following the BEHR/HELLA radiator install, I took the opportunity to fit a critical replacement baffle set as seen here:
https://gowesty.com/products/radiator-ba...a609&_ss=r

If nothing else, I've confirmed here the width of the OEM radiator core as fitted to all official import T3's into Australia as being 47mm (so NOT 50mm). This number offers a guide for buyers to compare radiator core widths of any/all aftermarket replacements. The problem I found when buying was accepting what the the seller states (probably wrong) compared to actually measuring the core width yourself before committing to buy. There have been plenty of mistakes made in the past.  Cool

What a great detailed reply, thanks. I’d already bitten the bullet prior to reading this and bought the cheap Forst one. It’s definitely a wide core (47 or 50 I’m unsure) and it’s got 44 horizontal tubes.

I’ve got it installed but I can’t tell you how well it’s holding temps yet as I’ve got some far bigger issues engine wise atm, New thread coming.

What I can tell you is you get what you pay for. Over all I think it will work just fine but the foil fins are super thin and easy to bend and the overall quality isn’t the best.I think the most likely outcome is that it will work fine but it’s unlikely to last like a good quality one would.

Time will tell.