Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil temp sender for type 4 engine
Hi. I fitted vdo dip stick sender 10 years ago and has now failed. Thinking of going with different type of sender. Anyone fitted this or can recommend another solution?

https://www.classicveedub.com.au/cvd_new...s_id=23707
The best version I have seen is the 914 version that goes in the smaller sump plate (on a Type IV) with 2 bolts (not the main sump plate) as it is out of the airflow and gives a pretty accurate reading.  You can do it with the standard plate but the 914 one is angled.  You can also drill and tap in to the sump near the bottom, but the air flow past will change the reading to a degree to show cooler than it might actually be. 

Might be a bit of experimentation on location and really the reading is a guide. As long as you know the range you should be in, if it changes to outside that range you should stop doing what you are doing and find out why.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(23-01-2023, 07:33 AM)Mordred Wrote: The best version I have seen is the 914 version that goes in the smaller sump plate (on a Type IV) with 2 bolts (not the main sump plate) as it is out of the airflow and gives a pretty accurate reading.  You can do it with the standard plate but the 914 one is angled.  You can also drill and tap in to the sump near the bottom, but the air flow past will change the reading to a degree to show cooler than it might actually be. 

Might be a bit of experimentation on location and really the reading is a guide. As long as you know the range you should be in, if it changes to outside that range you should stop doing what you are doing and find out why.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  Will check it out.
(23-01-2023, 09:43 AM)Paul77 Wrote: Thanks Adrian.  Will check it out.

Slightly off topic, but what was the 'normal' driving temperature on your gauge with the dipstick sender, before it died?  I think on mine, if it is showing 125(ish), everything seems to be ok.    (I am basing this on the crude 'holding the dipstick and see if it burns your fingers' method)
Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
125* C is the very top of the range. 
Hoping this is on a highway run and not potting around town. 
Any higher and I would be pulling over until it has cooled down. 

105* is my preferred 
Needs to be above 100* to boil off any moisture there. 
That is why you see the “mayonnaise” on a winters day.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Had a VDO dipstick for over 30 years and happy with the system. Temp reading varied over the years depending on tune and condition. On a good day runs around 100 degrees. Bit hot out there or working a bit hard and it climbs. Lift the right foot and temp goes down.
Quick test to check if your dipstick system is reading right is to stick it into boiling water. Should be 100.
Alpal
Living the Dream. JFDI
1979 Bay Schmetterling
Received today from just kampers. A billet taco plate threaded for the vdo oil temp sender. Will fit this and let you know how it goes. The old dipstick sender has failure that it oscillates between expected temp and 150C.
https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/p...1980-1983/
(22-01-2023, 12:41 PM)Paul77 Wrote: Hi. I fitted vdo dip stick sender 10 years ago and has now failed. Thinking of going with different type of sender. Anyone fitted this or can recommend another solution?

https://www.classicveedub.com.au/cvd_new...s_id=23707

So why the original fitment if I may ask Paul? Temperature probs or just curiosity?
& surely a sump temp be better & more consistent than dip stick Cool .
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
I just like to know what is going on. I tow and run A/C so like to monitor engine when loading it.
(17-04-2023, 09:35 PM)DavidH Wrote: So why the original fitment if I may ask Paul? Temperature probs or just curiosity?
& surely a sump temp be better & more consistent than dip stick Cool .
Cheers

Sump fitment often show a lot lower as most places they fit them mean they are being cooled by the passage of air while traveling. As a result when you are in traffic they show a much higher temp than highway. The dipstick ones are more consistent as they are directly reading the oil temp. 
The main thing is you are looking for a change rather than monitoring the actual temps directly. Unusual temp indicate an unusual condition. 

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)