Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What awning
Hey guys,
Just wondering what awnings people are using and the best place to buy one.
I’m restoring a type 2 Bay and want to put an awning on for camping.
Cheers in advance
I dont have an awning - but something important is what type of bus you have.

if a "bus" you can mount it on the roof racks.

If a pop top - you have to think about how to do this.

So................what do you have?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Oh - g'day and welcome.

Maybe pop into "new members" for an introduction (pictures) and tell us what you have.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy

We are in Bonny Hills from time to time (daughter and hubby live there)
your welcome. to come check out the arangement 
I'm pm you next time we're up there if you want
picture was taken at Reflections Bonny Hills
I have an Oz Trail awning similar to Rick’s.
I’ve modified it to include swivel joints to the bases of both horizontal poles to relieve the stress on the pop top. Also fabricated an additional member that provides support and prevents water pooling in the awning sail, no vertical pole required….very happy with the setup now.
I’ve also just added a rear awning that means there’s no frantic tailgate closing when unexpected rain blows through in the middle of the night. Big Grin
We did have dedicated Awning Thread and I thought I’d brought it across……..I’ll do some digging.
Welcome to KCA.
Enjoy the ride…… Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I've got a drive-away awning... really handy for saving your spot while you go off 'adventuring'

OK, seems we've lost that Thread..... Confused
(I might move this to the Camping Section for folks to put up what they have/use.....)
Meanwhile, this is a pic of mine setup, without any extensions....Note: The poles were shortened to pitch the awning as we had (predicted) heavy rain the night before.
(I have additions that double the length, a sidewall that can be used to increase the width and recently added a separate rear awning, roof bar mounted....)

If you zoom in, you can see the additional, cranked member that clips in-between the sloping arms to provide additional support to the sail.....works a treat.
It also provides something for my magnetic LED camp lights to be mounted on.....

The mod. I did to the flip out arms was to use marine fittings to allow the arms to slope downwards without placing stress on the pop top. As you can see here, the arms are really made to swing out at 90 degrees....something that can't be achieved when the awning is mounted on a pop top and the pop top up.....

This is what I did to alleviate the issue

Now, the pop top has no stress on it whatsoever from the arms/poles when everything is setup.

I would also add that the additional weight of an awning mounted to the pop top will cause the pop top to sag a little....the scissor strut springs are not strong enough to support the additional weight.
There are a number of work arounds, from vertical legs/posts added to take the load, drilled channels and a bolt dropped in to prevent the roller moving backward under load etc.
I chose to swage up some s/s cable and fittings that I can clip in and tension up, to keep the scissor struts supported.
Cheers,
Mark

Well worth installing with brackets such as these Quick fit brackets.
  • Less strain on the pop top as awning can be removed when not in use. 
  • Safely stored out of the sun in the garage.
  • Can use one awning on multiple cars.
PR
Yes, I remember you posting that before…….great idea/system.
If I had the time again…….. Rolleyes
Cheers,
Mark