Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which CTP Vehicle Classification is a Kombi
Hi everyone,

I am about to try and get a roadworthy and need to get CTP insurance to drive to a 'Safety Check' place, plus then hopefully (if all of the Kombi planets have aligned) on to QLD Transport to hand over lots of cash to them.  Quick question though.... Which vehicle category is a Kombi for the CTP?
What does other proud Kombi owners CTP say on the certificate?

Apparently there are these types of vehicle categories in QLD.  https://maic.qld.gov.au/for-drivers/purc...e-classes/

Many thanks

Paul
Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(01-01-2023, 08:13 PM)Pabloako Wrote: Hi everyone,

I am about to try and get a roadworthy and need to get CTP insurance to drive to a 'Safety Check' place, plus then hopefully (if all of the Kombi planets have aligned) on to QLD Transport to hand over lots of cash to them.  Quick question though.... Which vehicle category is a Kombi for the CTP?
What does other proud Kombi owners CTP say on the certificate?

Apparently there are these types of vehicle categories in QLD.  https://maic.qld.gov.au/for-drivers/purc...e-classes/

Many thanks

Paul

I would guess category “22”, as category “1” is for same, with current rego……  Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Does your vehicle have past registration history in Queensland?

If not, does it have history in another state?

I gather yours is a pop top?

That adds certain levels of complexity as it is a “modified” vehicle
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(01-01-2023, 08:25 PM)Barry Wrote: Does your vehicle have past registration history in Queensland?

If not, does it have history in another state?

I gather yours is a pop top?

That adds certain levels of complexity as it is a “modified” vehicle

I don't know if it has been registered in QLD before.  I know it was in NSW for about 10 years and sitting on a farm, then it got moved to Victoria and sat outside someone's house for a couple of years and and then I shipped it up to QLD.

Yes, it is a pop top.

I have a feeling this process may be more complex than I had hoped it to be.  Sad
Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(01-01-2023, 09:17 PM)Pabloako Wrote: I don't know if it has been registered in QLD before.  I know it was in NSW for about 10 years and sitting on a farm, then it got moved to Victoria and sat outside someone's house for a couple of years and and then I shipped it up to QLD.

Yes, it is a pop top.

I have a feeling this process may be more complex than I had hoped it to be.  Sad

If it’s not the same as it is on the compliance plate, ie. Poptop and / or more seating than the compliance plate states……it is a “modified vehicle”, and will probably need an engineers inspection & certificate, at the very least.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Do you know if it is a Sopru?
Is there a plate behind the passenger seat or somewhere?

Are you putting a rock and roll bed in the back with seat belts and wanting it to be legal?

If the pop top has cut through any of the roof cross members it will need engineering
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
"I have a feeling this process may be more complex than I had hoped it to be."

Sure will be...
IMHO Your first step should be to make contact with one of whomever Qld call their engineering inspectors, establish a decent honest working relationship with the person and together work through the requirements to get it registered.
PR
I believe each state will have slightly different inspection & re-registration requirements.
I coupler of years ago I re-registered 1971 Sopru in WA.
The vehicle was originally from NSW and had been unregistered for many years.
Having the old NSW registration papers helped a lot - to prove previous registration history to the WA inspector and Dept of Transport.
Thankfully the Sopru pop-top conversation was not a big issue in my case - even with the lack of a Sopru compliance plate. 

For a summary of my experience in WA - see the post/thread imported over from the previous KCF.
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=111
1971 Sopru aka Doob