Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*UPDATE*T2 Oil and Fuel leaks on the same day.
G'day Guys,

My 76 T2 has become my daily driver recently, which I'm pretty chuffed and nervous about to be honest.
I've had quite a bit of engine work done after it almost threw a valve and the carbies were "shot" (turns out the were not beyond repair)
Anyways, carbies were replaced with Brosol, reconditioned heads, electronic distributor conversion, fuel pump and filters etc.
It's had it's first service after 1000km recently, and then became my daily.

Fuel Leak is completely sorted after tightening the fuel pump "cap"

The oil leak may be coming from the rubber boot that has failed around where the dipstick enters the case. Would this be a possible place for oil to be pushed out, as it doesn't do it when sitting idling, but blows everywhere when driving.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mick[attachment=1874]
Mick
What sort of motor is it?
Type 1 or type 4?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(04-11-2022, 07:04 AM)dayses Wrote: G'day Guys,

My 76 T2 has become my daily driver recently, which I'm pretty chuffed and nervous about to be honest.
I've had quite a bit of engine work done after it almost threw a valve and the carbies were "shot" (turns out the were not beyond repair)
Anyways, carbies were replaced with Brosol, reconditioned heads, electronic distributor conversion, fuel pump and filters etc.
It's had it's first service after 1000km recently, and then became my daily.
Just yesterday it smelt very weird and when i got home i noticed it was dripping onto the driveway.
I got under it this morning and found a couple of things. The first dripping was from the fuel pump. I realised the screw that clamps the cap down had become loose. I tightened that and the dripping stopped immediately. I repositioned and tightened the hoses and hose clamps just for good measure.

The oil leak however i'm not too sure about where it has originated from. I went with my theory that usually the highest wet point would be where the oil is originating from, disregarding any blowback. All i could find was this black "hose" that has split behind the clamp. Is this oil related? 

Given that i developed both leaks simultaneously, I'm wondering if everything needs tightening and thread locking.
Thanks for any assistance.

Mick
that supplies air to the back of he alternator from the fan housing
only oil related if the rear crankshaft seal is leaking
I'd have a good look around the oil pump
Also remove the lower tin on that side and have a better look
(04-11-2022, 08:20 AM)Barry Wrote: Mick
What sort of motor is it?
Type 1 or type 4?

I believe it's a type 4 engine.
1800, twin port. I don't know a lot about engines sorry.
The oil is concentrated on the right hand side (opposite side to oil filter) and no higher than the alternator where that hose piece is split.
(04-11-2022, 08:22 AM)rstucke Wrote: that supplies air to the back of he alternator from the fan housing
only oil related if the rear crankshaft seal is leaking
I'd have a good look around the oil pump
Also remove the lower tin on that side and have a better look

Definitely no oil in that tube, which is probably a good sign.
I removed that lower tin and found nothing more of not.
Stupid question, but where does one find the oil pump and what does it look like?
it is worth checking the dipstick rubber tube --- not what's in your picture but in that area --- there were some around that weren't 'viton' and deteriorated quickly

looks like this

https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/p...gKhPfD_BwE
(04-11-2022, 08:43 AM)dayses Wrote: Definitely no oil in that tube, which is probably a good sign.
I removed that lower tin and found nothing more of not.
Stupid question, but where does one find the oil pump and what does it look like?

look to the left of the alternator
There are 4 bolts holding the oil pump cover on to the oil pump, common leak
The dip stick Rubber tube is also a culprit (located between the oil pump and alternator) which @Tintop mentioned
Be careful because oil leaks further forward accumulate in that area also
(04-11-2022, 07:47 PM)rstucke Wrote: The dip stick Rubber tube is also a culprit (located between the oil pump and alternator) which @Tintop mentioned
Be careful because oil leaks further forward accumulate in that area also

I would start with the dipstick rubber as this would be the most likely with the symptoms.  They do fail often and if you are getting a replacement, ask for it to made of Viton Rubber.  JK Campers should have them.  Might be a bit of looking but the standard ones dont last.  Fiddly to replace but can be done with out too much dismantling.  

The push rod tube seals can leak too and the airflow blows it around so it can be hard to spot.  Not too bad to replace on a type 4 but time consuming.  They also need to be Viton as well as the take heat and oil much better than standard rubber.

Last would be the crank seal behind the fan, or if it was the other side the oil pressure switch.  They are all common places to leak.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)