Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disk brakes locked after Drop spindles installed
Im wondering if anyone else has had an issue when installing drop spindles.
After I installed them and tightened up the brake callipers it locked the disk.
As soon as i release the tension from the bolts it frees up. I tried adding a spacer as i thought it may be slightly offset but it didnt help. 
I'd appreciate any ideas.
EMPI dropped spindles??

I’m guessing they are warped.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Do you really need dropped spindles ?
From what I’ve heard, the good ones are not cheap and the cheap ones are not good…..
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
What are your calipers and discs? original or new.
Are the drop spindles brought for an early bay drum to disc conversion by any chance.? Just a silly Blush Confused thought I had.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(15-10-2022, 08:47 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: What are your calipers and discs? original or new.
Are the drop spindles brought for an early bay drum to disc conversion by any chance.? Just a silly Blush Confused thought I had.

The Calipers and disks are original. I ordered them to suit my kombi so i assume they are correct. They do fit neatly its just as soon as i tighten the bolts holding the caliper that they tighten the disk. Im wondering if the pistons are a little seized and not releasing enough.
Are they missing a washer that would pack them out?

I have heard stories of poor fit from cheaper ones.

Wagon Wheels is the best I have heard of
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Have you got a backing plate on it? As JK mention that you don't have a backing plate on their drop spindles.
(Please Note You will not be able to use brake backing plates with these spindles these will increase the vehicle track by 3/4 " per side)From JK website.
The other thing you have to check is compare your old spindle with the new ! 
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Had same issue as Wayne noted.
With the common offset ones ( EMPI?)
Had to leave them off.
(16-10-2022, 01:56 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Have you got a backing plate on it? As JK mention that you don't have a backing plate on their drop spindles.
(Please Note You will not be able to use brake backing plates with these spindles these will increase the vehicle track by 3/4 " per side)From JK website.
The other thing you have to check is compare your old spindle with the new ! 

There was no mounting holes for the backing plate so i did leave them off. I was playing around last night and noticed that when i put the washer in to space it it moves the outside edge of the caliper hard against the disk and without the washer the inside edge is too close to the disk. I am thinking of getting a thinner washer to try and see if that can work.
I think from what people are saying that the spindles aren't perfect and need to engineer them to fit properly.
(17-10-2022, 10:46 AM)Lucy74Auto Wrote: There was no mounting holes for the backing plate so i did leave them off. I was playing around last night and noticed that when i put the washer in to space it it moves the outside edge of the caliper hard against the disk and without the washer the inside edge is too close to the disk. I am thinking of getting a thinner washer to try and see if that can work.
I think from what people are saying that the spindles aren't perfect and need to engineer them to fit properly.
sorry haven't read all responses so may be repeating others

Have you tried to push the calliper pistons right back (2 g clamps is best)
Then replace pads, mount, pump the brake pedal to settle it all
They should find there own position