Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY rock and roll bed
Hi all,

Anyone know what the rules are with DIY rock and roll beds ? I was originally going to buy the just kampers bed frame which is ADR approved but they no longer sell them as the manufacture went bust during COVID.

I’m in VIC and I was reading on VidRoads website that states,

Replacing seatsHide
A VASS Approval Certificate [b]is not required[/b]for a replacement seat provided:
  • the seat is offered by the manufacturer as an option and is replacing an existing seat 
  • the original seat mountings are used 
  • appropriate seatbelts are fitted.”

Now, I can order the hinges and make my own plywood seat to the same specs as the Westfalia beds which would meet the “offered by the manufacture as an option” and “use the original mountings” but it would not be a genuine seat so it’s not engineered.

Do you think this is within the scope of legal? I don’t want to run into insurance or TAC issues.

Ask your local VASS engineer. 
There is a link to a list of engineers on the Vicroads website
PR
First question is if anyone is going to travel in the seat?
If no one is - then it doesn't matter. Stick a couple of milk crates tied together in there and whack some foam over. 

If you want people to sit there while you are driving - that's a whole new ball game.

I doubt it would pass as it is not an existing seat.
Only Westfalias were sold with the r'n'n
All others were VW modified and would have come with an engineers certificate when new 
These days you cant use a plywood - needs to be a steel frame.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(28-09-2022, 10:43 AM)Barry Wrote: First question is if anyone is going to travel in the seat?
If no one is - then it doesn't matter. Stick a couple of milk crates tied together in there and whack some foam over. 

If you want people to sit there while you are driving - that's a whole new ball game.

I doubt it would pass as it is not an existing seat.
Only Westfalias were sold with the r'n'n
All others were VW modified and would have come with an engineers certificate when new 
These days you cant use a plywood - needs to be a steel frame.

Thanks Barry,

I do plan on having people sit on it. I’ve removed the rear seat when heading away on my own in the past so I could set up a bed in the back but I’d like a more convenient solution.

Sounds like it’s going to be a bit difficult and expensive though.

Cheers.
Westy or any other R & R are not VW options but aftermarket mods. Always a challenge.
Local rules apply so you need to check your state authority web page.
Alpal
Living the Dream. JFDI
1979 Bay Schmetterling
(28-09-2022, 11:18 PM)Alpal Wrote: Westy or any other R & R are not VW options but aftermarket mods. Always a challenge.
Local rules apply so you need to check your state authority web page.

Weren’t Westfalia licensed by VW to do the conversions pre sale for the T25 ? which would make it a factory option ?

Either way it’s gonna be a difficult process and likely require engineering. I’ll see what I can do but might put it in the too hard basket.
Volkswagen subcontracted the modifications to Westfalia-Werke in Rhda-Wiedenbruk

It was (i believe) VW Australia who subcontracted to Sopru etc here in Australia.

Main difference is VW worked closely with Westfalia and used sunroof model as opposed to Australia who used can openers on tin tops 

pretty sure the T3 Westfalia was a special roof pressing specifically for Westfalia

But no - not a factory option as such
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(29-09-2022, 01:09 AM)Azzman1000 Wrote: Weren’t Westfalia licensed by VW to do the conversions pre sale for the T25 ? which would make it a factory option ?

Either way it’s gonna be a difficult process and likely require engineering. I’ll see what I can do but might put it in the too hard basket.

Yes Westfalia were a factory option but you would still require engineering as they were never approved in Australia.
(03-10-2022, 06:13 AM)syncro Wrote: Yes Westfalia were a factory option but you would still require engineering as they were never approved in Australia.

I see, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I’ve got bigger problems to sort now though. Looks like the heads are coming off. My cooling issues have persisted at per my last thread and I’m fairly confident I have very low compression in one cylinder. 

I’ll be updating that thread as I go.