Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solving my oil consumption While heads are off
(15-09-2022, 06:54 PM)Grantus Wrote: Agree with the radiator replacement, as they do event get clogged, and fail.

Not VW, but we had a thermostat fail in the SAAB in the closed position. Remedy was to let it cool down, and remove the thermostat to get it home, and order a replacement.

My plan for tomorrow is to remove the thermostat and check it in boiling water. If it’s not working I’m going to bolt the housing back together without a thermostat in and get it up to temp and see if the rad get warm and the fans kick in.

If that doesn’t happen I’ll assume the rad is clogged. I think I’ll replace the rad regardless, they’re not expensive but I need to drive the van on Monday and I obviously can’t get one before then.

Funny, I started this thread talking about oil consumption but the problem completely changed now that I don’t think the heads need to be pulled just yet (hopefully)
(15-09-2022, 10:42 PM)Azzman1000 Wrote: My plan for tomorrow is to remove the thermostat and check it in boiling water. If it’s not working I’m going to bolt the housing back together without a thermostat in and get it up to temp and see if the rad get warm and the fans kick in.

If that doesn’t happen I’ll assume the rad is clogged. I think I’ll replace the rad regardless, they’re not expensive but I need to drive the van on Monday and I obviously can’t get one before then.

Funny, I started this thread talking about oil consumption but the problem completely changed now that I don’t think the heads need to be pulled just yet (hopefully)

Sounds like a plan, to suss out and eliminate possible issues. 

Haven’t looked at what radiators are available lately, but there was two - a thicker one that matched the original, and an aftermarket thinner version, that wasn’t worth buying, so worth checking.

What is your dash temp needle, and the LED low coolant / excessive heat light, doing at this time?

And if you have an original VW owners manual that came with the vehicle, you can read the slightly alarming “butt covering” facts from the manufacturer, stating that oil consumption of up to 1 litre, per 1,000kms is considered acceptable!  Confused
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(15-09-2022, 10:51 PM)Grantus Wrote: Sounds like a plan, to suss out and eliminate possible issues. 

Haven’t looked at what radiators are available lately, but there was two - a thicker one that matched the original, and an aftermarket thinner version, that wasn’t worth buying, so worth checking.

What is your dash temp needle, and the LED low coolant / excessive heat light, doing at this time?

And if you have an original VW owners manual that came with the vehicle, you can read the slightly alarming “butt covering” facts from the manufacturer, stating that oil consumption of up to 1 litre, per 1,000kms is considered acceptable!  Confused

Hi Grantus,

That’s quite an alarming “acceptable” figure indeed!!! I would say mine isn’t even at that level.

The temp needle pushes above the  3/4 point and I shut it down. The warning light is doing a strange flicker where it barely shows. It’s not a solid light or a flashing light but a weird irregular flickering. There is zero heat anywhere on the radiator.

As far as the rad, I’m looking at the “Forst” ones from Heritage Parts, they claim to be “standard” not upgrade.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/0...iator.html
(16-09-2022, 01:18 AM)Azzman1000 Wrote: Hi Grantus,

That’s quite an alarming “acceptable” figure indeed!!! I would say mine isn’t even at that level.

The temp needle pushes above the  3/4 point and I shut it down. The warning light is doing a strange flicker where it barely shows. It’s not a solid light or a flashing light but a weird irregular flickering. There is zero heat anywhere on the radiator.

As far as the rad, I’m looking at the “Forst” ones from Heritage Parts, they claim to be “standard” not upgrade.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/au/0...iator.html

I’d be asking what the core depth on the Forst radiator is, before purchasing……..

Mahle brand are 42mm core depth, Ridex ones are 45mm, but Behr ones are only 34mm.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(16-09-2022, 01:56 PM)Grantus Wrote: I’d be asking what the core depth on the Forst radiator is, before purchasing……..

Mahle brand are 42mm core depth, Ridex ones are 45mm, but Behr ones are only 34mm.

Ok nice, 

Thanks, that’s really helpful info. As long as 42 or more I’ll grab one.

Cheers.

P.s removed the thermostat and tested it. It opens a little bit but at nearly boiling. Pretty sure they are supposed to open around 85 degrees?? Bolted it back together without it installed and bled the system which took a bit of work. It seems to be hold decent temps and the radiator temp feels pretty even across the cores. I started to get the coolant level warning light coming on but it had drawn out all the coolant from the refil bottle while I was bleeding at the radiator and the temps were still staying in the sweet spot.

I’m going to order a new thermostat and radiator fan switch today because the fans still don’t seem to want to kick in automatically and I’ll buy a rad once I know.

I want to do a good flush of the system before the new rad anyway. I’ll give it a good test in the coming days and see how it holds temps.