Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On behalf of a friend of a friend
I have been approached by a friend of a friend of a friend of mine to help with what to do with her late husband's volksie. It is a one owner original low light T2 double cab. Vehicle is ORIGINAL rust free except for a small section under lower left windscreen. All panels are straight tap and sound clean, fridge magnets hold. Paint is ORIGINAL, roof and gutters are ORIGINAL and clean run your finger if you want. Always garaged. Rear seats were removed and stored 50 years ago and are refitted, OEM. Ute body is clean, drop sides are straight and clean. Is registered, and is maintained by old skool mech, fires up, runs and drives good.

No photos. If these words don't wok, don't bother. What should she ask? And where?
Not being a camper is what may hold the dollars back - just a ball park but maybe $30K if its that original and clean. Try car sales for genuine buyers, eBay for hopefully a bidding war and Facebook Marketplace for ridiculous offers of swaps of a minibike and a goat Wink

It could also be listed here for free with no hassles as long as it has photos and a contact number.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
…..and be aware that many try and use words only to sell a vehicle……and that they stretch the truth to get a sale….pictures are a necessity to prevent unnecessary back n forward discussions when the vehicle is finally inspected…..they save everyone a lot of time.
One person’s idea of surface rust, for example, could actually be a rusted out A-pillar .
Just saying…. Wink
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(13-09-2022, 07:15 AM)Melissa Wrote: Not being a camper is what may hold the dollars back 

I would go the other way and say it would be more. 

Agreed - campers are the popular buy. 

Campers here are modified where as this is an original vehicle. 
A surviving work vehicle is getting hard to come by. 
Twin cabs are not common. 

Where’s Wayne??
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Thanks to all for the input. It was a genuine pleasure to look inside Lyn's garage and the words used here in the first post are mine, not some hyped up sales pitch. The really hard bit is that Lyn is an elderly 70+ year old widow who does not want the hassle of advertising, negotiating, arguing, etc etc. The replies here have helped her firm a position but not on how to sell. I would love to be her de-facto sales agent, but distance kills that. So, the problem continues. I wait.
Why not sell on consignment at something like the Classic Throttle Shop and let them do the selling
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(13-09-2022, 07:44 AM)Barry Wrote: Where’s Wayne??

Missing in action! Wink
Better Idea with photo's, Double cabs and earlier lowlight ones in original condition have become scarce to come by for sale. It would be worth more then a kombi of similar condition and age.
I had my Double cab revaluated in the last couple of months for insurance purposes, the insurer mentioned that my DC ute is rarer then my microbus of similar condition and had put 10K more on the value of my DC ute higher then what my microbus is. So if I base that principle to the value of selling your DC ute I would add the 10K on what Melissa had on as a ball park figure.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(18-09-2022, 09:28 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Missing in action! Wink
Better Idea with photo's, Double cabs and earlier lowlight ones in original condition have become scarce to come by for sale. It would be worth more then a kombi of similar condition and age.
I had my Double cab revaluated in the last couple of months for insurance purposes, the insurer mentioned that my DC ute is rarer then my microbus of similar condition and had put 10K more on the value of my DC ute higher then what my microbus is. So if I base that principle to the value of selling your DC ute I would add the 10K on what Melissa had on as a ball park figure.

Would second d Wayne's appraisal.
"Survivors" are desired by a select group.
DC Bay also chased .
Smaller market but definitely the $40 k area.
Plus year, indicated condition, indicated provenance.

Car sales , gumtree, here. 

Wait it out for a good sale price as limited market and a usual amount of dreamers.