Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sliding door seal orientation
Put on a new sliding door seal and having difficulty working out which way round it goes
3 slides have a lip one side a channel. Does the channel go at the rear of the sliding door?         
76 Sopru Campmobile “Luna”73 L bug75 L bug in bits
(31-08-2022, 02:02 PM)Luna76 Wrote: Put on a new sliding door seal and having difficulty working out which way round it goes
3 slides have a lip one side a channel. Does the channel go at the rear of the sliding door? 

Large flap as per first photo goes at rear of door.
X2 cbus comment  : the large flap to rear of door.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(31-08-2022, 05:49 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: X2 cbus comment  : the large flap to rear of door.

Still struggling!
With the large flap at the rear now can’t close the door at all (could before only if pushing the back of the door against the body)
Think somehow I have the orientation of the seal to the channels totally wrong but can’t quite work it out

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-09-2022, 02:16 PM)Luna76 Wrote: Still struggling!
With the large flap at the rear now can’t close the door at all (could before only if pushing the back of the door against the body)
Think somehow I have the orientation of the seal to the channels totally wrong but can’t quite work it out

You will have to adjust the door.  When you change the rubbers you need to reset the door and how it sits in the body out to match the new seal as they are rarely the same design as the original, and even if it was the same it is likely you would still need to adjust it as there will be variances between the body and the door.  

You have to remember that these were mass produced vehicles made when tolerances were much larger and uneven panel gaps were common up to much ;larger degree than modern cars.  All of them would have been fitted by hand and adjusted to fit at the time.

Have a look at the thread we rescued from the old site for adjusting the sliding door.  It will be a great help to get it right.  When it is right it is a beautiful thing!

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
The large flap at rear with the flappy part of the door rubber pointing forward, as the door shuts at rear it just pushes against the flap section of the rubber. The door looks like it needs to move forward by adjusting the rear U hinge section back wards with loosening the four bolts that hold U section on the door. therefore making the door go forward.
When adjusting the door you may need to support the bottom of the door at the height you have already, as if you don't the door may drop downwards causing you more alignment issues.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(01-09-2022, 09:09 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: The large flap at rear with the flappy part of the door rubber pointing forward, as the door shuts at rear it just pushes against the flap section of the rubber. The door looks like it needs to move forward by adjusting the rear U hinge section back wards with loosening the four bolts that hold U section on the door. therefore making the door go forward.
When adjusting the door you may need to support the bottom of the door at the height you have already, as if you don't the door may drop downwards causing you more alignment issues.

Finally done and seals great!

Realised I was doing 2 things wrong- the seal at top and bottom edges wasn’t pressed fully into the channel (when trying to close the door the seal was pushing out against the door too much), and I also needed to adjust the striker plates to accomodate the much wider seal than the old one.

Thanks everyone for advice
(02-09-2022, 01:29 PM)Luna76 Wrote: Finally done and seals great!

Realised I was doing 2 things wrong- the seal at top and bottom edges wasn’t pressed fully into the channel (when trying to close the door the seal was pushing out against the door too much), and I also needed to adjust the striker plates to accomodate the much wider seal than the old one.

Thanks everyone for advice

Yes, you have to push the seals all the way in.

That's where most go wrong.