Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smell through Heater Exchange into cab
Hi All,

I have a 75 Kombi, running well.

This topic has probably been covered many times, but I just can`t find the thread, maybe the way I am doing my search.

I have attached the heater cables and the fan runs...heat comes out , nice and warm, no problem.

However,
The smell of exhaust fumes coming into the cab area, not over helming ...BUT.

I have a new muffler/exhaust system. 

Would the problem be the heat exchangers ? , am I missing any gaskets or joints of pipes not secure ? Should the exchangers be flushed out ? 

The fan and exchangers would not have been used for at least 20 years.

Your thoughts please as to where to look.

Regards

Klaus
Could be many things.
Maybe start by posting a picture of the new exhaust system.
Did you previously have a working heater? Did it smell with the old set up?
Lots of seals/gaskets involved so trace all the plumbing and check for obviously missing or damaged.
PR
(18-08-2022, 09:24 AM)KIWI Wrote: Could be many things.
Maybe start by posting a picture of the new exhaust system.
Did you previously have a working heater? Did it smell with the old set up?
Lots of seals/gaskets involved so trace all the plumbing and check for obviously missing or damaged.
PR
 Hi,
No I did not previously have the heater working, The replacement exhaust system is identical to the old one. Then I connected the heater cables which opened the heater exchange flaps and connected the fan. I haven`t taken off the exchangers or any pipes to see whether any seal etc are missing. 

Is there a parts diagram available , because I wouldn`t know if something was missing ? The heater and fan works well 

Regards
Klaus
I'll try and find some pictures or others may be able to help.
Basically whenever a pipe, duct, or cable passes through tinware there should be some kind of seal.
Whenever ducts are joined there should be some kind of seal.
PR
If it’s a Type 1 motor it will be the sh?tty clamp connections from the heater boxes to the exhaust. 

Best answer is to put flange connections on. 

76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
This link from Ratwell has some leak diagnostic info:
https://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html
PR

(18-08-2022, 02:33 PM)Barry Wrote: If it’s a Type 1 motor it will be the sh?tty clamp connections from the heater boxes to the exhaust. 

Best answer is to put flange connections on. 

As Barry suggested, heat exchanger to exhaust leaks are common as.
Check if you have leaks there.
PR
Get someone to hold tennis balls over the exhaust pipes. 
The motor “should” stall and die. 

If it’s leaking it will still run - but now all the exhaust will be coming out the leak and will be easy to find
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Here's a note and picture 1500king (Andrew) posted on the old forum:
Do you know if yours were cleaned up and flattened?
"Heater boxes are next... Been cleaning up the flange to muffler and flattening somewhat."

……as the exhaust runs internally through the heat exchange boxes, there is also a high likelihood that there is a hole where the steel exhaust system pipe meets the cast aluminium heat exchange units themselves…..a common place to rust a hole if it’s been sitting and not run. You can braze the hole/s up but if you’re planning on keeping the kombi, you’d be better off buying replacement heat exchange units.
They’re not cheap but if you don’t replace them/eliminate the smell, you’ll most probably find that you’ll start to get used to and accept that smell as,
“typical old kombi smell…..” Tongue
Long road trips breathing in carbon monoxide is a recipe for disaster………you don’t want to be falling asleep at the wheel.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light