Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door seals
Hi All,
Just got a couple of new front door seals delivered and after some advice on best adhesive and or how to pics/video.

Cheers
(01-08-2022, 08:52 PM)Hourigat Wrote: Hi All,
Just got a couple of new front door seals delivered and after some advice on best adhesive and or how to pics/video.

Cheers

Dry fit.
Then use contact cement on both sides to be glued for any bits that need it.
Use sparingly and allow to tac off for 5- 10 minutes before pressing  in place.
Just like repairing bicycle tubes.

If quality rubbers they might make door hard to close.
Might need to shave a bit of thickness off. This is usually in the area around the door retaining mechanism.

Edit.
Tac off time is nearer 1 minute . Check that its tacky, and not wet ,with finger.
If too dry refresh with more glue or warm with heat gun.
If there cheap rubbers, they can be a pain, always pay for top quality you won't regret it.  A mate of mine went cheap couldn't even shut the door. I told him but no listen, does now though.....
79 Bay camper
66 Beetle
65 Split project
(01-08-2022, 11:39 PM)Cbus Wrote: Dry fit.
Then use contact cement on both sides to be glued for any bits that need it.
Use sparingly and allow to tac off for 5- 10 minutes before pressing  in place.
Just like repairing bicycle tubes.

If quality rubbers they might make door hard to close.
Might need to shave a bit of thickness off. This is usually in the area around the door retaining mechanism.

cheers Cbus

(02-08-2022, 12:52 AM)Rossco Wrote: If there cheap rubbers, they can be a pain, always pay for top quality you won't regret it.  A mate of mine went cheap couldn't even shut the door. I told him but no listen, does now though.....

Hi Rossco,

Ordered from Just kampers so hopefully good quality, but definitely not German.

Will post how it goes
There is more to it then just the rubbers and quality of them. 
You also have to look at the two doors and whether they are original doors to the car when it was made. Have they been replaced?
Has the car ever been in a accident, which can affect how the doors fit and therefore the rubbers.
Normally the higher the price for the rubbers the better quality and fit they should be.
I found the rubbers that air heads parts make seems to be the best fitting door rubber that the price is in between the best and worst of door rubbers.
As already mentioned dry fit the door rubbers and then apply contact cement where required ,normally down hinge side.
If you are lucky you may still have the metal clip that goes around the door check hole on the door ,or the metal clip could still be on you old door rubber if you still have them.
The metal clip hold the door rubber on around the door check hole in the door. It helps with the over all fit of the rubber as it holds it in place down the hinge side as there is no channel for the rubber to fit into on that side of the door.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(02-08-2022, 09:24 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: There is more to it then just the rubbers and quality of them. 
You also have to look at the two doors and whether they are original doors to the car when it was made. Have they been replaced?
Has the car ever been in a accident, which can affect how the doors fit and therefore the rubbers.
Normally the higher the price for the rubbers the better quality and fit they should be.
I found the rubbers that air heads parts make seems to be the best fitting door rubber that the price is in between the best and worst of door rubbers.
As already mentioned dry fit the door rubbers and then apply contact cement where required ,normally down hinge side.
If you are lucky you may still have the metal clip that goes around the door check hole on the door ,or the metal clip could still be on you old door rubber if you still have them.
The metal clip hold the door rubber on around the door check hole in the door. It helps with the over all fit of the rubber as it holds it in place down the hinge side as there is no channel for the rubber to fit into on that side of the door.

I replaced my doors and new rubber on my DOKA... don't remember any metal clip down the door hinge side.??
Any chance you could post a picture??
89 Blue T3 Transporter Bus
90 Red T3 Double Cab
(04-08-2022, 03:11 PM)johnvw Wrote: I replaced my doors and new rubber on my DOKA... don't remember any metal clip down the door hinge side.??

That would be because your DOKA is a T3, not a T2 Bay Window……  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab