Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really …..?
Long story but I’ve just replaced our oven….
I’ve had to get a couple of 6mm toughened glass fillets with polished edges made, one to sit each side of the new appliance, to take up the difference in width…..sort of like a vertical splash back.
Each fillet is 70mm wide and 881mm long…..
How much do you think they would cost?

1st price came in……….$450.00 plus GST !  Huh 
You’re kidding , surely not ? Called to double check…..
“Nah mate, that’s the price….everything has gone up heaps…….”

So, took my templates to another place…..
“No problems, we can do it all here………for $70.00 including GST.
Goodo, you have the job.

Just another example of how crazy and varying the pricing can be if you don’t shop around.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(19-07-2022, 02:28 PM)Oldman Wrote: Long story but I’ve just replaced our oven….
I’ve had to get a couple of 6mm toughened glass fillets with polished edges made, one to sit each side of the new appliance, to take up the difference in width…..sort of like a vertical splash back.

Goodo, you have the job.

Just another example of how crazy and varying the pricing can be if you don’t shop around.

See, to me in the building industry, the $450 seems a whole lot more realistic. A non toughened mirror costs $40 to polish the edges on in most places, plus the mirror itself. Then the cost to not only use it, but to maintain and insure a heat soak for the toughening process. I cannot see them being cheap to own given they go hotter than 600degrees.
$70 is a terrific bargain. 

This new reply format is a bit clunky compared to the old. Not sure why my response just because the last few lines of your quoted text??
Hey Brad,
I’m also from the building game and I know that there are minimal costs that have to be covered.
The $70.00 quote was from a glass supplier that tempers and polishes in house….nothing is sent away.
They are still making profit on that figure as well….and I don’t claim Trade rates any longer, as I’m a long time out of the game…..
……and we’re talking about 0.123 m2 in total !

Regarding the reply format…..
If you hit “quote” then “reply, you’ll get all of the post plus yours…
Easier to hit “New Reply” and add what you want. Wink
Cheers,
Mark

Quotes aren't even close. It sure pays to shop around. 
The first company probably outsource an element of your requirements (tempered glass) Which would put costs up, but that is still ridiculous.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Yes Wayne….1st mob had to outsource polishing and tempering, however I really can’t see justification for    their price…..they are a glazing company after all and also have the material at cost….
Cheers,
Mark

(19-07-2022, 02:28 PM)Oldman Wrote: Long story but I’ve just replaced our oven….

Goodo, you have the job.

Hideous the difference in pricing. You’d be surprised how much you can save by doing your homework and shopping around on most things.

We have 5 cars and in QLD there is just a few State nominated CTP suppliers and all charge the same but what most people don’t know is that they take turns to offer incentives to change to them each year, generally a $50 eftpos card. I change ever year and effectively save $250
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute