Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tharwa Valley Forge
I WISH I could’ve put signs like that up in our Workshop while I was teaching…… Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(17-07-2022, 09:46 AM)Oldman Wrote: A while ago, I tried to organise a knife making weekend with a couple of Kombi  Club members, Barry and Phil.
The plan was to visit Tharwa Valley Forge, on the outskirts of Canberra, to learn how to fold and forge different steels…..and ultimately make a couple of folded steel kitchen knives….sometimes referred to as Damascus steel.
Unfortunately I couldn’t attend the dates that we locked in due to a back injury, however I did eventually get there…..and this is the result:

I’ve wall mounted them using concealed magnets and rebated each into a piece of Huon Pine that I brought back from our Tassie kombi trip and use them regularly. They are razor sharp and,in my opinion, beautiful to look at and use.

I can’t recommend Tharwa Valley Forge and their staff highly enough. 
The course was full on, with long days and filled with awesome experiences….
If anyone is considering any blacksmithing/art/ knife making /axe making/ leather work etc. you won’t find a better bunch of instructors with access to the best equipment.

https://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

A big shout out to Karim and his team for one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.
Bonus is, you can bring your bus and camp onsite. Amenities are top notch and you can have an open fire too…….all within walking distance of the river.
If I was living in the ACT, I definately be applying to work there in my retirement !
They are a real art piece! Bet they chop garlic nicely.  Big Grin
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
Chrissy…..the Nikiri (the top one) is designed for use on vegetables…..it has a super fine edge and can cut “see-through” slivers of garlic  Cool
Like Barry said, once you use something like this, other knives seem like cheap options….
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light