Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tailgate Rear Tent / Annex
Prior to the previous KCF website crashing there was a thread about an annex/rear tent that fitted over the Kombi tailgate.  I think someone was trying to sell one.  I also think there was a much earlier thread (circa 2011) concerning Amescador rear tents.  This prompted me to dig out an old rear tent that came with my Kombi.  (The first time I have really looked at the tent in the 12 years since we got the vehicle.)  This tent is made of a heavy green canvas, but there are no markings on the tent to indicate who made it – no brand name or logo etc… It looks as if there should also be a floor/base (perhaps about 500mm x 1200mm) extending out from the cargo bay level with the top of the engine compartment [probably to be used as a bed extension].  I think the lower skirt on the canvas tent would wrap around the base and pull in tight with a draw cord.  Unfortunately, no such base came with the vehicle & tent when I got it.

At some stage I would like to build a base for this rear tent.  I am hoping someone on this forum might have a similar canvas annex/rear tent and can give details of the base design i.e. How the base mates up at the rear of the vehicle and how it is suspended.  Any comments or suggestion would be very welcome.

From an internet search, it appears other rear tent manufacturers suspend the rear of the base with either cables or rods from the tailgate hinges.

1971 Sopru aka Doob
62/kombi/surfer  If it's the same person on the old forum (user name changed) He had one and mentioned that there was one for sale, he is the best person to talk about the rear annex
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
On the old forum there was a guy in Adelaide that made the arms/ struts for a base.
 I can’t find it on the old forum but you might find it. My previous name was kombi fringe.
 I’m definitely wanting a rear tent extension for my bay.
If you think of it maybe you could measure your rear tent and add diagram please.

I’ve been wanting one for a while if you want to sell yours I’m here☺️
I first drove my kombi on a rainy night on the freeway, my 8yo rang the guy to ask where are the wipers? Big Grin
1974 Bay 2L Sopru Pop-top Camper
Thanks Wagonwanderer.

There are few suppliers that make similar tents - mainly in Europe I think?
Do a 'Google' search for ....Amescador Rear Hatch Tent....Or Rear Westfalia Tent ...
Also have a skim though this link...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto...order=desc

When I get a chance I will drag mine out again and measure it up & post details here.

I am in Perth WA - If you are ever over this way you are welcome to come and look at it !!
Cheers
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob