Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sliding Door - Latches & Locks
A few months ago, the internal snib lock on my sliding door stopped working (1971 Kombi – front lock assembly part number 224 843 653B).  I could not rotate the internal snib lock lever fully into the lock position.  This lock assembly is riveted closed, and not designed for easy servicing.  I was very reluctant to cut it open for fear I would never get it back together.  So I purchased a second-hand lock assembly with a working snib lock.  This then gave me the option to conduct surgery on my faulty unit.  The problem turned out to be the tip of the pin that locates the upper control arm had worn/sheared off.  In addition to locating the upper arm, the end of this pin also moves a tongue forward across the latching dog on the front latch, to lock it in place.  This occurs when you rotate the door handle up to the fully close & secure the sliding door.  This tongue needs to be in the forward position before the internal snib lock lever can be rotated into the lock position.
As it turned out, the remedy of my problem was as simple as replacing the worn pin (I manufactured a new one from a M5 bolt) – but I had no idea this was the problem until I cut open my front lock mechanism to see how it worked.
The Service Manuals I have, do not really explain the workings of the sliding door locks and latches very well.  The owner’s manual only gives a brief overview of how to open & close and lock the sliding door.  I could not find very much from doing an internet search either.

So, I have put together a brief set of photos depicting how the sliding door locks & latches work (on this 1971 model).  See attached.
The first 10 pages give a general explanation of the door latches, then pages 11 to 16 give a more detailed explanation of the front latch & snib lock mechanism – with an exploded view of the internals.  I hope this may be of some help to others.
[Note: I have made up some of the terminology & part names here.  If you are aware of more correct terminology, please let me know & I will update the attachment]

Others have posted guidelines on sliding door adjustments – see ….
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=49
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=76
Cheers
Grant
Dropbox Link to  – 16 page pdf – Sliding Door Latches & Locks 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4al0ata99t5za...f.pdf?dl=0
I could not add this 2.5MB file as an attachment (too large ??)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
In order to reduce file size and be able to post it hear I have split the original pdf file into 2 parts.
Part #1 - General overview of the sliding door latches & locks
Part#2 - More detail of the internal snib lock and components of the front latch mechanism.
See attachments..

.pdf   Sliding Door Latches & Locks - Part #1 pdf.pdf (Size: 1.56 MB / Downloads: 17)

.pdf   Sliding Door Latches & Locks - Part#2 pdf.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 12)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Worthy of a Sticky Grant.
Thanks for putting this together  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light