Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing a Reversing Light
The topic of retrofitting reversing lights was discussed on several threads within the previous Forum.  As these threads may not make it across to this new Forum, I thought I would share my recent experience.  
See below, and the attached 3 page pdf file with photos & wiring diagram.

I have recently installed a reversing light on my 1971 Kombi.  Although reversing lights were not standard on the early Bay Kombi, they can be retrofitted relatively easily.  My vehicle has a standard 4 speed manual transaxle transmission [a 3 rib Code CA gear box].  On the left-hand side of the gear change housing there is a plug & washer that can be removed to accommodate a reversing switch.  This plug can be removed with a 10mm Allen Key – but it is a bit tricky.  The plug is very close to the clutch cable flexible guide tube and the rear suspension diagonal arm mounting. I believe others have modified a 10mm allen key to fit into the confined space.  In my case, with the intent of installing a switch at a later date, I had previously loosened the plug while the transmission was out.  This allowed me to remove the plug with a set of multi grips after reinstalling the gear box.

I bought a reversing switch (VDO 022147 with a M18 x 1.5 thread) from a local VW garage – but they are available from many of the online VW part suppliers.  I initially installed it with the same washer I had removed with the plug.  However the switch failed to move to the closed circuit ON position when the reverse gear was engaged so I reinstalled it without the washer and it worked fine.  I guess the switch pin just needed to extend into the housing a little more to better engage the gear shift mechanism.

The single reversing light I used was a Hella E1 8726 R23 with a standard clear 12v 21w incandescent bulb.  This light housing is also available from many of the online VW part suppliers.  I mounted the new light on the rear bumper just below the right-hand side taillights which required a 10mm hole drilled through the bumper bar.

I wired it up similar to the wiring diagram for the 1976 model reversing lights, as given in the Bentley Manual [Chapter #4 Diagram I current track 65 & 66]. Taking power from the +15 terminal of the ignition coil – through a new inline fuse holder (with 7.5-amp blade fuse) – then through the reversing switch – and onto the reversing light.   

See my attached 3 page pdf file for my wiring diagram.

Attached Files
.pdf   Reversing Light Installation pdf file.pdf (Size: 446.24 KB / Downloads: 12)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
That's awesome Grant.
Will have a look on the gearbox when I'm  under ours  next. That light looks spot on where you've fitted it.
The wiring looks simple enough even for a dumb bum like me.