Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1974 8-seater microbus mechanical rebuild
Have resumed this project again...
Couldn't find the vacuum advance port on the Solex 34-PDSIT-2 LHS carburettor...
Eventually located it on the outside of the 34-PDSIT-3 RHS carburettor.
Not sure why?

PR
Different variants have them on different sides. Depends on emission parts and the distributor fitted as well.

Look under the float bowls and you should find a set of numbers.  If they start with 3xxx they are 1700 carbs, 4xx 1800 and 5xx 2 litre.  Then the rest of the numbers will tell you the sub variant.  

Andrew at VolksDoktor in Adelaide has the full list of 80+ variants and can rebuild yours to suit the correct engine.  So many have been swapped on one side or the other so they are not matched to the engine and gearbox (yes Auto has a number of variants too) over the years.  Well worth spending the cash to get them right as they are awesome when in good condition.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(23-01-2023, 07:42 AM)Mordred Wrote: Different variants have them on different sides. Depends on emission parts and the distributor fitted as well.

Look under the float bowls and you should find a set of numbers.  If they start with 3xxx they are 1700 carbs, 4xx 1800 and 5xx 2 litre.  Then the rest of the numbers will tell you the sub variant.  

Andrew at VolksDoktor in Adelaide has the full list of 80+ variants and can rebuild yours to suit the correct engine.  So many have been swapped on one side or the other so they are not matched to the engine and gearbox (yes Auto has a number of variants too) over the years.  Well worth spending the cash to get them right as they are awesome when in good condition.

Adrian
Thanks for clearing that up.
I will check the numbers later.
PR
(23-01-2023, 04:58 PM)KIWI Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up.
I will check the numbers later.
PR
1800cc engine
LHS VW 441-2 4098

RHS VW 442-2 4129

PR
Excellent, the short answer is they are 1800 carbs and being 1974 that would go with the original 1800 engine. If Andy is on here he might like to fill in the rest of the info. He might even suggest that the main jets may be worth going up a size or 2 if highway running most of the time as that richens them at high revs.  They do lean out higher in the rev range.  I cant remember exactly what the standard size is but 132.5x for 1800 is familiar.

Looking at the blocked ports and tubes you had it looks like they might have given trouble of the years.  I am fairly confident the matching dizzy for that year and 1800 engine is 205P.  ( thats the last few digits in the part number on the side). 

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
After a bit of a break due to other commitments I'm back to this project...

Removed both heater cables that go the length of the bus after soaking for a few weeks in WD-40.
The RHS cable was rusted into the tube and began to unravel so I put the cable into a drill and slowly spun the cable.
After a few clicks and clacks the cable broke free and I was able to free the cable.
Dragged the old cable back and forth a few times to loosen up the rust then gave it a blast with compressed air to clean it out.
New cables coated in copper grease and reinstalled. Will probably connect it to a secondary battery.

While under the bus, we ran a length of 5-core 3mm trailer cable for future temp, oil gauges or whatever and also a 2-core 4mm cable to power a fuse box for accessories.
Both cables are enclosed in plastic tubing and cable tied to the top  of the OEM cables.

Removed the steering box and posted it off to get it refurbished.
PR