Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covering Door Cards
Courtesy Rev :

Quote:Decided to start recovering Shirl's front door cards.

I used

2 x new cards in MDF:
[Image: IMGP2180.jpg]

A can of Spray Adhesive & 2 meters of vinyl from Spot Light
[Image: IMGP2182.jpg]

Firstly I spread out the vinyl and marked out the door card - I left about 30mm so i had enough overlap to fold over the card and staple down.

[Image: IMGP2186.jpg]

all cut out
[Image: IMGP2193.jpg] 

After cutting out the vinyl I covered the door card with spray adhesive. 
Remember to put down plenty of paper as there is a bit of over spray – it also keeps the wife happy if your using the kitchen bench.

[Image: IMGP2195.jpg]

I covered the door card by rolling the vinyl on from one side, trying to smooth out bubbles and ripples.
[Image: IMGP2197.jpg]

Once the vinyl was on the front side of the door card, and after allowing the glue to dry for about 20 minutes, I turned the card over and began to staple down the over lap. I used a staple gun with 6mm staples – I could just feel the staples under the vinyl so I tried an extra layer of vinyl which did the trick.

[Image: IMGP2200.jpg]

The corners were a little tricky – I cut the vinyl around the corners to make it easier to staple down the vinyl without bunching it up.

[Image: IMGP2198.jpg]
Quote:All done
[Image: IMGP2201.jpg]

Old door card
[Image: IMGP2202.jpg]

New door card
[Image: IMGP2203.jpg]

I used the screws and caps from Roy to fix the door card to the door.

As I reflect a little – I may change the colour from white to blue to better match the interior. But for now it's a huge improvement.

Excellent thread - and just the thing I was looking for as I am about to embark on doing Pompi's door cards soon too. Was looking at using the thicker vinyl flooring from Bunnings in a timber effect. Let's see how that goes  Cool