Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strathalbyn 2023…Our Trip
(05-04-2023, 05:34 PM)Oldman Wrote: Thought about it mate….but we’ll see Geoff n Irene at Strath.
We had a 5hitload of washing and organising to do and really didn’t want to move once we’d propped.

Fair enough mate  Cool
Cheers Brian and Cathy
What a fantastic trip!
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(05-04-2023, 06:03 PM)Barry Wrote: What a fantastic trip!
Yup, it’s had everything Barry..
Everything from perfect Bluebird conditions to wtf am I doing here situations.
I’ll elaborate and post pics when I have more time.
Stay tuned……Strathalbyn here we come !!

Loxton to Strathalbyn was the shortest and easiest run yet......great roads, beautiful scenery and cool weather made this leg a joy to drive.
Wasn't long before we settled in at the 2023 Bus Stop

Sign erected, we settled in for a few cleansing ales with like minded folk

The overflow around the oval was miles away but it meant we got our exercise walking and talking

Stanley snuggled in with a warm fire and lap to keep him happy

I didn't get pics of everyone but managed to snap a few

Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light

Spotted this one in Strath. shops.......love the irony of the sign !!  Tongue

Head of the park up at Milang

I didn't manage any pics of the Dinner or the Kombi Races.....too busy yakking at the Dinner and too busy hearding cats at the Races !!
Hopefully someone can add pics of these events, they were both awesome !!
Hopefully more people will become involved with the Race day now that they see how fun it is  Big Grin
Deb and her Team did an awesome job with the Dinner and the fellas at the bar, (Stattler & Waldorf ) , kept everyone amused when getting refills....
" Wine you say....we have both types.....Red AND White !!"  Volunteers that really added to the atmosphere of the evening. Well done fellas  Cool
There were some great costumes and it was great to see so many people get involved....particularly the Bus Stop Virgins.

The run out to Milang for the cruise & photo shoot wound through some great country and we parked up (with precision) at the Milang Railway where local markets were underway.
Lots of folks admiring the kombis...." I had one of these once...great memories..." was a common conversation.
Monday evening was the get together/farewell and a local Fish n Chip truck fed A LOT of people !! No-one was too concerned about the wait as it just gave more time to talk and "re-hydrate"  Tongue
We headed out on Tuesday and pointed the kombi West, towards Port Vincent......
Cheers,
Mark

Port Vincent…..Red Wine, Backgammon and The Ocean.

Enroute to Pt. Vincent - home of JD - we called into Adelaide. Plan was to find a parking spot for 3 kombis close to the city, jump on the tram and view the Andy Warhol exhibition...
"Follow me, I'll find a spot to park....you're in my town now" says JD. Following a kombi that doesn't have working indicators, through the Adelaide traffic was interesting !! 2 out of the 3 kombis had interstate plates and we just smiled and waved at the fist shaking rally drivers as they shot in and out, around and in-between the kombis....All of a sudden John throws his kombi hard left into an overgrown, vacant building lot and proceeds to validate why we would not be booked for parking on someone's property without their permission. Tongue I had visions of 3 stripped and burned out shells on our return .....but all ended well.
We poked through the Adelaide Central Markets and grabbed fresh provisions and a coffee

We jumped aboard another tram and found the exhibition
This was my favourite :

Afterwards we followed John to Pt Vincent, just making it to the local supermarket at Ardrossan for more necessities. The wind was howling, rain falling and the roads average and we were wondering if we were following the Kombi Club's very own Ivan Milat into the bowels of the Yorke Peninsula, never to be seen again !!
We made it safe n sound and we unpacked and settled in for the night.

Next morning we headed out to walk the foreshores of Pt Vincent and see the local sights. Pt Vincent is a beautiful spot and John's place has sweeping views of the coast and locality.    
Cheers,
Mark

(13-04-2023, 09:21 AM)Oldman Wrote: Port Vincent…..Red Wine, Backgammon and The Ocean.

Quality time with JD
Cheers Brian and Cathy
We all had a great time re-connecting with John after his 6 years living aboard Alidade and fires were lit and strange but enjoyable liquids were consumed.

One night we were playing backgammon and a strange but detailed smudge was noticed on one of John's windows......this is unbelievable !! and the craziest pic I've ever taken.

It is obvious now, that a magpie had flown full bore and hit the window leaving a "dust" print into the salt residue on the glass........you can even see where its tail hit, above its head  Exclamation
I managed to swing a downlight around and it highlighted the image while we all took pics. It amazes me every time I look at this pic and have never seen anything like it before....
There was no evidence of the bird and all we can do is assume that, after the shock of hitting the window subsided, he/she flew off.....
Just crazy !! look at the detail of every feather !!
Cheers,
Mark

Wandering around Pt Vincent, talking air-cooled nonsense with a local mechanic

Al, Carol, Sue & I drove down the Yorke peninsula sight seeing and checking out surf spots.
Chinaman's firing with only 6 fellas out.....

Some beautiful boardwalks to do, despite the cold.
Pondalowie

Some plants will grow anywhere !!

National parks are on top of their warning signs !!
Inneston Ruins

Cheers,
Mark

Next leg of our journey left John in peace at home and 2 kombis headed for Tanunda / Barossa Valley for a couple of days poking around wineries, tasting and loving life...
We called into the Information Centre at Tanunda and asked about campsites, we were now in SA school holidays and everywhere looked too full for our liking.
Fella told us about Greenock Park, a free camp provided by the local Council. It's a great spot and obviously popular as there were quite a few caravans there when we pulled in.
We managed to find a quiet corner and setup. Fee was $5 and an honour system.....why wouldn't you pay it ? Facilities were great, clean toilets and water but no showers.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".....so we did !
We visited the Grant Burge winery and had a tasting, 

A fine vintage !!

After Grant Burge, Al suggested Saltram, so we headed there, tasted and stayed for lunch.....
Found a great park under an ancient Cork tree.

Apparently, these two know what they are doing...

Cheers,
Mark

Sue was the subject of an attempted alien abduction at Saltram's..

View out through the grapes, at lunch.

Sue was keen to visit Maggie Beer's Farmhouse kitchen, so we did that too....

From the Barossa we all headed East, overnighting at Tailem Bend.
This Big 4 had the best amenities/kitchen facilities/showers etc that we've ever seen. 
The park is only 4 years old and in immaculate condition......however there is not a single tree to be seen !! 
It caters for Motorsport enthusiasts and there is the Tailem Bend Motorsport Park less than a km away. 
Before we knew it all we could hear were screeching tyres as a Drift race was underway !! 
Fortunately each race only ran for 5 minutes or so, probably lap counted.....and even more fortunately they were not racing under lights !!
3/4 of an hour later, all racing had stopped and peace returned...

From Tailem bend we bid farewell to Al and Carol as they headed South East towards new adventures and we headed to Swan Hill for a couple of days...
Managed to get a great spot on the river.

Cheers,
Mark