Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Torsion Arms
So, I have embarked on my journey to renovate Busby, my 1972 lowlight which has spent the majority of it’s 50 years rumbling around the red dirt roads of the NT.

I have dropped the front axle beam and removed all components except the upper torsion arms. I am a bit nervous because of what I have read (and watched) with respect to how difficult they are to remove and I guess therefore how difficult they are to replace. 

The axle beam itself has no rust on it and although there was a thick, hard crust of dirt and grease on the beam and the torsion arms, I expect that would be normal after 50 years. The ball joint boots are in good nick and the ball joints themselves I think are OK. Passenger side are stiff but easily moved by hand whilst the drivers side are much freer but have no or very little rattle or movement in the sockets that I can detect.

So my question to the experts out there is thoughts as to whether you think it is worth the effort for me to remove the upper torsion arms to clean up and inspect the grease seals? How I’ll I know if the seals need replacing, other than obvious damage? Finally if the general feeling is that I should remove the upper arms, does anyone have tips to make the removal and reinstallation relatively pain free?

Thanks in advance. Brad.

Messages In This Thread
Front Torsion Arms - by Culmara - 16-09-2022, 06:21 PM
RE: Front Torsion Arms - by Wayne Murray - 17-09-2022, 06:05 PM
RE: Front Torsion Arms - by KIWI - 17-09-2022, 08:37 PM
RE: Front Torsion Arms - by Doob - 18-09-2022, 11:10 AM
RE: Front Torsion Arms - by Culmara - 20-09-2022, 08:15 AM