Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve Adjustment - Three Perspectives
Inside the rocker cover is a cork gasket. This one's been on for aboot 4,000km and needs changing.

[Image: Picture011.jpg]

So what's under the rocker cover??? These are the tappets and rocker arms. 

[Image: Picture012.jpg]

This is the right hand side of the bus. The two on the right are No. 1 cylinders exhaust and inlet valves, the two on the left of No. 2 cylinders exhaust and inlet valves. 

As I've set the firing sequence to top dead centre (TDC) on #1 I'm going to be checking / adjusting the right hand pair. First the Inlet valve... (I think this is the right way round, but will stand corrected if I'm wrong. Not thiat it matters because you're doing both and they're both set the same)

[Image: Picture013.jpg]

This one is good. I can get the .006 feeler gauge in between the stud and the valve spring with just a little bit of drag between the two on the gauge.

Now the exhaust valve..

[Image: Picture014.jpg]

This one is good too.

Now on to cylinder #2.

Again, with the combination spanner on the alternator nut rotate the engine ANTICLOCKWISE. I've put this in caps because it's very easy to go the wrong way. If you do then you won't be able to adjust the tappets beacuse the valves will be closed.

[Image: Picture015.jpg]

Remember the firing sequence on a kombi is 1-4-3-2 and this is in a clockwise direction around the distributor, so when you're adjusting the tappets you work in the opposite direction. Going ANTIclockwise starting at one turns it into 1-2-3-4. (Also remember that 1 and 3 are the front cylinders on the bus, i.e. towards the front of the bus)

To get the engine firing on #2 you need to rotate the engine 180 degrees ANTIclockwise. (I didn't have a mark on my original pully so took the timing scale off, moved the pulley until top dead centre was at the bottom of the pulley and then used a plumb bob to mark the top. There are other threads around that can show you how to do this).

As above, I now have a mark 180 degrees opposite the notch in the pulley that you use to find top dead centre. Line this mark up with 0 on the timing scale

[Image: Picture016.jpg]

Check the clearances on #2 exhaust valve (the right one of the pair)

[Image: Picture018.jpg]

As you can see, this is a bit tight and the feeler gauge won't slip through between the stud and the spring (sorry if these aren't the technical terms, but a photo says a thousand words).

This tappet needs adjusting (opening a bit). I use a socket wrench to loose off the nut. It's 14mm.

[Image: Picture019.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Valve Adjustment - Three Perspectives - by Oldman - 04-07-2022, 01:48 PM
RE: Valve Adjustment For Smarties - by Oldman - 04-07-2022, 03:38 PM
RE: Valve Adjustment For Smarties - by Oldman - 04-07-2022, 03:42 PM
RE: Valve Adjustment For Smarties - by Oldman - 04-07-2022, 03:44 PM
RE: Valve Adjustment For Smarties - by Oldman - 04-07-2022, 03:46 PM