Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
69 Baywindow Resurrection- The time has come!
4 hours of removing an old set of shelves that have been hiding in the carport for years, and sorting and find forgotten treasures! Then a sweep out and....

Really need to get a set of wheel dollies....

But jack and slide board and....

Now to extend the carport by 5 feet!

June 13
Picked up a Stratco carport for a customer Friday. Big sheets of core flute packing.

Now I can slip slide around underneath!

And yes Ruby's other names are Chichane... and get out of the f'n way!

June 15
Bit the bullet this morning before work...

I'd forgotten how hard it is to take that first bit of original paint off of car....

And so it begins....

Grantus, post: 713223, member: 2180 Wrote:Looks like the rust has removed more of the original paint (and metal), than you have done in your first strike…..

I only had 5 minutes before work. Did a little more when I got home before it got dark. Seems there is a leak from the window up above, (Back drivers side), might need a bit of attention up there and inside the panel. Will investigate more on the weekend.

After talking to the guys at Mick Motors today I'm thinking of removing the rear side windows with the flipper vents and replacing them with one piece fixed glass. 

Thoughts and opinions?

Barry, post: Wrote:Having just done something similar here are some thoughts.

You definitely want to change the rubbers

The rubbers around the flippers is a pig to replace

Those flippers harbor rust

OG sliders are good - I replaced all rubbers and the 3 flippers with 2 OG sliders and a rear solid

Aftermarket sliders are notorious for leaking - may not be a problem in the desert 

New solid glass doesn't always fit

I would replace the rear driver with solid.

The sliding door I would try and get an OG slider window.

Failing that an aftermarket.

Failing that I have a flipper you can have for postage

Cheers Barry.

Took a quick squizz when I got home.

Amazing what you notice when you look.

The drivers rear looks pretty ordinary....

Definitely leaking...

Anyone  got a drivers rear solid glass?

Then I found that the passenger rear is also solid already so will just get a new rubber. And the sliding door has a flipper.

[ATTACH=full]66551[/ATTACH]

Think that one will need TLC or maybe replacement.

Wayne murray, post: 713237, member: 208405 Wrote:I'd go sliders on the middle two and solid in the rear, I've got genuine VW brazil sliders on three ,as they only do three(like the three 1/4 windows) Had no issues with leaking, been to Maleny was a good test. Personally 1/4 windows are a complete pain in to  assemble and getting them in and getting top quality rubber for them that isn't to short on the corners is a big problem as well.

I did buy a new rear solid glass from a Qld supplier ,can't remember which one (few restos on since then 12 years ago) pig to get in. sometimes getting original glass without scratches sometimes not easy.

Thanks Wayne.

If the ¼ in the side door can't be resurrected I think a slider might be the way to go. The drivers back definitely needs to be a solid. Will try to reach out to a couple of the local guys I know who can hopefully put me on to one. Not too worried if it's not in great condition.  After all it's a resurrection not a restoration. 

I'm no good with bright shiny things... I scratch em!

Would be awesome if I could get one with the right date though... how good would that be!

cbus, post: 713339, member: 513 Wrote:At about $260 ,including rubbers , jk sliders are a nice option when sleeping in van.

Picking up a solid rear window this weekend.

And a good bloke on here is helping me out with parts for the flipper in the sliding door so will restore that for now and maybe put a slider in it later if I need the change.

I know what you mean about the sliders Col but I want to put fixed windows down the back for dust sealing. We go a lot of places where there is a dusty track to get to camp. I'm not really restoring her but I will be sorting as much of the sealing as possible. Especially at the back where the most always gets sucked in.

cbus, post: 713378, member: 513 Wrote:Can understand that 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 69 Baywindow Resurrection- The time has come! - by Wombatventures - 02-07-2022, 08:35 PM
Dog leg patching. - by Wombatventures - 16-10-2022, 12:26 PM
RE: Dog leg patching. - by Ted - 16-10-2022, 02:13 PM
RE: Dog leg patching. - by Wombatventures - 16-10-2022, 08:49 PM