Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kombi doors
You can open up a can of worms here!
What year model is you Kombi 1970 I take it?
Nearly every year or second year they changed the kombi door in some way.
Basically the door is the same size overall.
It should fit and I also don't know where is it sticking out? Bottom opening side?
As Barry has mentioned the hinge changed in 1977 with a larger pin and the plate holds the door on is with bolts, instead of the plate being counter sunk allen key head, metal threaded.
You can buy a kit to change the two styles over if required.
The lock and striker did changed in 1974, make sure you have matching striker and lock. Did you adjust door and striker before you assembled the door? 
Main problem is the door rubber as most rubbers that are made in German vewib (brand) causing doors to stick out all over the place, Mainly down hinge side, rubber is to hard and has no where to spread. 
Cheap rubbers are just that cheap and nasty. avoid at all cost (Brazilian) 
I found with my experience is a airhead parts front door rubbers are the best in my opinion. They are still a little thick down the hinge side but they are a lot softer and compress better causing less problems.
Have you had any body work done or ever been in a accident can also be a major problem, to making sure they all fit correctly.
I also know some kombis have had this problem from factory, my dad's kombi since new has always had the passengers side opening bottom side always sticks out, he has spend many years to correct this with adjustment with no avail. my microbus, same year  as my fathers has the same problem, in the end it's something I have lived with. 
You can get different results.
If you want more specific changes per year for the door i could explain it if required.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !

Messages In This Thread
Kombi doors - by Rooboy 70 - 08-03-2024, 10:10 AM
RE: Kombi doors - by Barry - 08-03-2024, 12:52 PM
RE: Kombi doors - by Wayne Murray - 09-03-2024, 04:15 PM
RE: Kombi doors - by DavidH - 10-03-2024, 10:33 AM
RE: Kombi doors - by Doob - 11-03-2024, 02:26 PM