Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cab Headliner Replacement
(26-04-2024, 12:51 PM)rstucke Wrote: laminated screens are much more fragile out of the vehicle than tempered glass ones
In the vehicle it's a different story
ask me how I know

How do you know?   Big Grin
PR
We always used the old 2 screwdriver method, starting at the middle slip one screwdriver under the rubber and lift the lip outwards, push the lip into the aperture, a little weight on the screen with your feet helps, then work your way along a couple of inches, then start working the other way alternating along the top until you reach the corner, work around the corners and down the sides, around the bottom corners and then the screen should lift out. The main thing is not to get too excited or greedy and keep a little even pressure on the screen as if you cock it it will surely explode. Don't forget the safety glasses. The other option is to cut the lip as mentioned earlier.
Thanks Les. Smile
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Made a start on this & got the screen out after cutting the inside lip with only a crack due to me rushing things. 
Why I wanted to change it Area above sopru
stove , cardboard catcher degraded!

And where someone used to smoke in the bus Sad

Rear vision mirror needs a anti clockwise twist to remove.
Open up the catcher strips with a screwdriver. Rear catcher & side catcher pictures so you can see what needs to be done

Take the old bows out of the old liner & insert into new liner. Longest one towards the rear

New liner should have pencil marks for sun visor screw holes both sides inner & outer & mirror position so you can get hood liner square. Replace sun visor clips first then move to the outer sun visor mounts which will hold the front of the liner in position so you can then fold & tuck the rear around the catcher strip. This is a slow job as tucking the cardboard strip into the catcher needs to be done 50mm at a time & the catcher closed up. I used a rubber mallet upside down so I was hitting the rubber end with an open palm whilst the timber handle closed the metal catcher.
Now its captured front & rear you can now click the bows into the right place. They do take quite the effort to get into the channel closest to the inside of your bus. Have a feel of the shape to understand this.
More to come as I progress
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Guessing you removed the curtain track too….?
I’ve heard all sorts of reasons for that brown discolouration…..glue reaction over time, that was used, rust staining from condensation under the roof but over the lining material and now nicotine staining…
I’d be interested to know what the cab roof underside looked like.
What roof liner product did you end up using?
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(04-06-2024, 06:47 PM)Oldman Wrote: Guessing you removed the curtain track too….?
I’ve heard all sorts of reasons for that brown discolouration…..glue reaction over time, that was used, rust staining from condensation under the roof but over the lining material and now nicotine staining…
I’d be interested to know what the cab roof underside looked like.
What roof liner product did you end up using?
This is a 76 Sopru camper.
Sure did remove the curtain track (you won't need to do this if it's not a camper!) along with the sun visors. I was the smoker so I know where the stain came from Sad .
Gave up years ago  Big Grin .
Here's the cab roof underside. One bad screw now rust converted & fish oiled

The rest that I also fish oiled

Liner came from gumtree & a lady in Sydney 7 yrs ago & she was great to work with. There's plenty available out there just make sure the lining is marked for the relevant positions for install from the front positions! If the positions of sun visors is not marked use your old one as a template.

Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren
I've seen many buses with the same staining on the headliner including my own, hence the observation.
I'm not convinced that it's nicotine/smoke related as the staining is more prominent on the lower edges of the liner itself....where the lower edge is captured.
Looking at your pics it seems possible that the staining could be surface rust related from the retaining clips themselves....?

One trick I was told was to warm up the headliner with a heat gun as you stretch & capture the edges....once the material cools, it shrinks slightly helping prevent any annoying ripples....
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
That staining is more prevalent in 70’s beetles and my thoughts are it being the glue, condensation or a mixture of both. 
That vinyl spray works wonders especially if you pop the windows. 
Easier on a beetle.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
i'd agree with the others that it's is either the glue or condensation or combination of both. Was there any sound deadening material stuck to the roof?
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(08-06-2024, 08:20 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: i'd agree with the others that it's is either the glue or condensation or combination of both. Was there any sound deadening material stuck to the roof?

No sound deadening material! Just the glue to hold the 7cm between side catcher & the window rubber & catchers not rusty.!
Cheers
                                    Copilot - Lauren