Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil leak
Hi all I been informed that I have a oil leak coming from gear box area, has been happening for a number of months but just drips and then as it cools down not so much. It is called gear box rear main seal. The mechanic has said bit of a job . has any one out had the same problem in there 1990 T3 water cooled transporter?  I would like to get it fixed before I go on a long run where the oil comes out more but not enough to top up all the time. thanking you for advice please. petersbilt.
(23-06-2024, 05:50 PM)petertuite Wrote: Hi all I been informed that I have a oil leak coming from gear box area, has been happening for a number of months but just drips and then as it cools down not so much. It is called gear box rear main seal. The mechanic has said bit of a job . has any one out had the same problem in there 1990 T3 water cooled transporter?  I would like to get it fixed before I go on a long run where the oil comes out more but not enough to top up all the time. thanking you for advice please. petersbilt.

There is a bit of work involved in fitting the seal and I suggest that you replace the flywheel seal and clutch whilst it is accessible, from memory the transmission can be removed without removing the engine but may be wrong. It is a few years since I had the transmission out of a transporter, others on here will be able to verify this.
(23-06-2024, 06:52 PM)grumble Wrote: There is a bit of work involved in fitting the seal and I suggest that you replace the flywheel seal and clutch whilst it is accessible, from memory the transmission can be removed without removing the engine but may be wrong. It is a few years since I had the transmission out of a transporter, others on here will be able to verify this.

Labour costs, to do the job, well exceed the cost of the seal. So great advice from Les, re the clutch and other bits.

Whilst it’s all apart, do everything you easily can, before it’s back together again, to save the future labour costs of going back in, to replace another part.  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Just as after thought make sure that it is transmission oil that is leaking not engine oil. The crankshaft seal is more likely to leak than the input shaft seal unless the spigot bearing has collapsed allowing the in put shaft to flop around whilst the clutch is disengaged.