Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panel Work Mid North Coast
Hi Guys
Any recommendations for panel work & resto
 with T2 skills between Tarree & Coffs?
About to start the journey on my 75 poptop.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Shep
Welcome to KCA Shep.
I can't recommend anyone up that way as I don't have experience with the workshops in that region......

I would say, though, that panel and paintwork is expensive if done correctly as it is very labour intensive and time is money.
Don't be blinded by what looks like a nice ,shiny paint job. The prep. is more important than the finish. 
Poor prep. = rusty tears and more $$ down the track.

Ask for photo's of any rust removal / repairs from previous clients.....as well as referrals.
Go and see the Workshop yourself. A well organised Workshop is a good indicator of the capabilities of the Owner, in my opinion.
(Having said that, I also know of a place that look like an absolute 5hitfight.....but turns out good work.  Tongue )

Do your research well and don't jump in too quickly....once a place has your vehicle, you are at their mercy.
Good luck
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Thanks Oldman
Good advice wrought from hard experience no doubt!
Just need some damage repaired...
the worst kind...
no fault of my own?
Hoping for an experienced Kombi repairer that gets it?
Getting harder to find
Cheers
Schep
(03-01-2024, 09:22 AM)Oldman Wrote: Welcome to KCA Shep.
I can't recommend anyone up that way as I don't have experience with the workshops in that region......

I would say, though, that panel and paintwork is expensive if done correctly as it is very labour intensive and time is money.
Don't be blinded by what looks like a nice ,shiny paint job. The prep. is more important than the finish. 
Poor prep. = rusty tears and more $$ down the track.

Ask for photo's of any rust removal / repairs from previous clients.....as well as referrals.
Go and see the Workshop yourself. A well organised Workshop is a good indicator of the capabilities of the Owner, in my opinion.
(Having said that, I also know of a place that look like an absolute 5hitfight.....but turns out good work.  Tongue )

Do your research well and don't jump in too quickly....once a place has your vehicle, you are at their mercy.
Good luck

(05-01-2024, 12:50 PM)shep Wrote: Thanks Oldman
Good advice wrought from hard experience no doubt!
Just need some damage repaired...
the worst kind...
no fault of my own?
Hoping for an experienced Kombi repairer that gets it?
Getting harder to find
Cheers
Schep
As Mark said there is a lot of potential heartache if you get a poor repair. Justin Hills in Taree is one of the best vehicle restorers in Australia his work is awesome and his workload is fairly tight. He may be worth a call, he has a facebook page if you want a look at some of his creations and rebuilds. My last experience was after an extended argument with an insurance company over a very poor insurance repair and their bulls..t which ran on for almost 2 years I repaired the vehicle myself. Unfortunately most of old Volksie repairers have retired and do work our own vehicles only.
Mick Georgiou Paint & panel in Tuncurry.

great young bloke and initially done my Kombi 11 years ago