Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are they the same....?
Hey all, I'm about to start the rust work on my '76 and would like to determine if the windscreen area (including the "belt line") is the same dimensions for early and late bays.....
I have a cut from what I think is an early bay and would like to use it when I repair the windscreen sill section, passenger side on my bus. I can do all the necessary prep. to the donor cut but would like to be sure that they are interchangeable before I start.....
Can anyone confirm if they are the same ?
Many thanks.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
They “should” be as the windscreen glass is the same
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Not sure - but a few years back when I replaced all the window rubber seals on my early Bay I investigated new windscreen options in case I damaged mine in the process. I think the same windscreen is supplied for both early and late Bays (1968-79).
This would make me think the window frame dimensions are possibly the same ?
But I am basing this on my memory from a few years ago - [not the most reliable thing in the world !]
Maybe doubled check with few glass suppliers to see if they distinguish between early & late bay windscreens ?

Edit update .... Barry posted his comment above while I was tying this !!!

Cheers
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Thanks fellas....
It's more the shape of the lower /sill area that I'm trying to determine....
I won't be cutting huge chunks or replacing A-pillars, just working on the lower section and it'll be easier to cut and replace a piece that includes the "bulge".
I've put a profile gauge on both and to my (OCD) eyes they look the same.....
Cheers,
Mark

On my 72 micro bus across under the windscreen section, has been replace with metal that came from a 78 kombi. So the panel shape area is the same for fit meant of the panel and windscreen.
Only thing you may have to watch and that depends on how much metal across the front that needs replacing, is the direction of the wiper blade hole locations from left hand sweeping to right hand sweeping. For an early bay 73<would be in the opposite to what you have.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Thanks Wayne…..
Won’t be anywhere near the wipers…..and I know what you mean .
Cheers,
Mark