Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead replacement additives
Just after others thoughts on using lead replacement fuel additives.I have been using Flashlube but wondered if it is necessary?
62 Beetle, 74 Kombi, 60 Karmann Ghia,  06 Jetta, 16 Amarok
Not necessary

Is for use on cars with cast iron heads where lead was used as a lubricant.
VW uses aluminium heads with hardened steel valve inserts and does not need lead for lubrication.

Very early 36HP motors did not have the inserts and I believe it may be of use in one of those motors if you can find one with original heads

Save your money
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Ditto Barry’s comments…..it’s not necessary.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Use 95 or 98 and you will be fine- I have heard the Flashlube builds up and causes issues - but I am not a mechanic.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Thanks for replies all, good to know not required Shy
62 Beetle, 74 Kombi, 60 Karmann Ghia,  06 Jetta, 16 Amarok
Still say 91 works for me.
Will give higher bang a go next trip just to confirm.
(03-08-2022, 11:55 PM)Alpal Wrote: Still say 91 works for me.
Will give higher bang a go next trip just to confirm.

Are you brand specific, or any 91 from the most convenient?

I only ask, coz the most choice of convenient fuel in my area is Caltex (now Ampol), and I have to plan the trips to include a BP garage.

Multiple comparisons, has proved to me, that I am using around 1.5 litres less fuel per 100kms, with BP Ultimate 98 fuel, than I do if I fill up with Ampol Vortex 98.

With the current cost of fuel, and only going to increase, especially when the fuel excise get’s reinstated, it’s a considerable saving.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Having your engine properly set up, tuned and regularly maintained will play a huge part in your fuel economy….and performance.
I’m with you Grant, my preference is for BP 98. Wink
Having said that, my son’s lowy has an advisory sticker on the fuel flap (in German) stating minimum RON 91. It’s running a stock 1600.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light