Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2L Kombi carb jetting
Wink 
Yes! Another thread on 2L Kombi carb jetting! 

Has anybody had first-hand experience with changing the jets in the standard Solex 32-34PDSIT carbs in a T2 bay Kombi (2 litre)?

I have been told by a few VW people that the standard carbs are set up to run slightly lean from the factory, which increases the running temperature. They state that changing the jets as below corrects the (lean) mixture with minimal effect on economy.

main jet X130 → X132.5
air correction 175 → 160 or 155
pilot (idle) jet 52.5 → 60 or 65

I am running a completely stock (rebuilt) 2L twin carb engine, in a 1977 camper.
Is your motor running hot?

If you were worried I would either put it on a dyno or better still put a sniffer in your exhaust and analyse it your self.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
And DONT apologise for asking questions. 
We need to build the information data base back up again
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
In response to the question re is my engine running hot, I have an oil temp gauge in (VDO with dipstick sender), however I need to check its calibration. The gauge as it is, typically shows 102°C sitting on 90 km/h on a 25°C day.  It sits around 90°C in the undulating 80km/h zones where I live.  I'll have a play tomorrow and check the gauge calibration in some boiling water.

My next step was to check the plug colour as an indication of mixture, however I have just found a vacuum leak. Once that is fixed I'll take it for a run and check the plug colour.

My main question remains - has anybody had first hand experience with modified carb jetting.
I have rebuilt 2l carbs on a standardish 2l and run 135 mains, they were 132.5 but to give me a little more at highway speed I increased them.  Just did 4500km on the mainland of mainly highway driving and heavily laden and still ended up at around 11.5 l per hundred on 95. Average speed 90-100 kmh.  They should be a little rich around town but most of my driving is highway.

I cant remember what the other jets were off the top of my head, but Andrew in Adelaide rebuilt them to standard non smog 2l.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)