Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door Gap
Hi all, just a quick question. I'm currently fitting the doors on my '72 lowlight before I remove them again for painting, and I've noticed the gap seems excessively large to me. The thing is, they appear to be the original doors (same original colour on both) and they line up very well...style line is very good, nice and flat when shut...and the gap is nice and even all the way around....just seems a bit wide to me. So, am I being too pedantic? or is this just a normal kombi thing.....

Thanks for any info
                                Mark
Pretty much the same as my 76

Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(03-09-2024, 12:54 PM)DavidH Wrote: Pretty much the same as my 76

Cheers

Thanks David, that eases my mind a lot.

Mark
Hey Mark, if the margins are parallel and even, I’d suggest it’ll be the best you can hope for…. Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(03-09-2024, 01:58 PM)Oldman Wrote: Hey Mark, if the margins are parallel and even, I’d suggest it’ll be the best you can hope for…. Big Grin

Yeah...not much I can do about it I suppose. I mean I can understand if it'd had a prang or something but I can't see how that that would've made both doors shrink evenly......like they'd been through the wrong wash cycle... Confused

Mark
The other factor is to remember that panel gaps back then were generally larger to allow for manufacturing tolerances which were nowhere near as strict as today. These were commercial vehicles too so even less stringent on the fit and finish in a broad sense.

The perfect ones you see restored today are finished off a lot better than the average mass market version of the time.  The had a minimum standard back then but it allowed for quite a range.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(04-09-2024, 08:00 AM)Mordred Wrote: The other factor is to remember that panel gaps back then were generally larger to allow for manufacturing tolerances which were nowhere near as strict as today. These were commercial vehicles too so even less stringent on the fit and finish in a broad sense.

The perfect ones you see restored today are finished off a lot better than the average mass market version of the time.  The had a minimum standard back then but it allowed for quite a range.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. That has to be the case. The fact that both doors have an even 5-6mm all the way around is too consistent to be anything but factory.
                                                  Mark