Kombi Club Australia
Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Printable Version

+- Kombi Club Australia (https://kombiclubaustralia.com)
+-- Forum: Help & Assistance (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: T3 Tech Clinic (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? (/showthread.php?tid=902)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 25-05-2024

(25-05-2024, 05:49 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: The engineer in Sydney who is certified in both NSW and QLD said that a 1991 van is assessed against 1991 standards.

That is correct if it was passed in 1991 and registering in NSW. I did write a post about this but cannot find it. I had mine changed from a 2 seat to a 5 seat with an approved 1991 seat. If I did not have that NSW sticker it would have failed. Being refused on a seat is not the end of the world. You just have to replace it with a metal frame seat from JKA or the ones made in QLD.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 25-05-2024

(25-05-2024, 05:55 PM)syncro Wrote: That is correct if it was passed in 1991 and registering in NSW. I did write a post about this but cannot find it. I had mine changed from a 2 seat to a 5 seat with an approved 1991 seat. If I did not have that NSW sticker it would have failed. Being refused on a seat is not the end of the world. You just have to replace it with a metal frame seat from JKA or the ones made in QLD.

Good to know, thanks. Do the metal frame seats work as well for bed? Or less comfortable? Any idea of approx cost for such a seat replacement (eg, likely more or less than $1k)?

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 26-05-2024

Just booked in comprehensive pre-sale inspection for the 2010 T5, which will hopefully happen tomorrow or Tuesday before roadworthy on Wednesday. All going well, we’ll book flight down to see it and make final decision next weekend. If all good, then have a week to drive it back up the coast  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 26-05-2024

So not going ahead with the T3 then ?

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 26-05-2024

(26-05-2024, 05:21 PM)Oldman Wrote: So not going ahead with the T3 then ?

Not 100% sure yet. Still considering but after seeing the videos that 2010 T5 seller sent, I think it is the better choice for only a little bit more (QLD transfer hassles aside). But if something falls through then might still pursue T3 as it is very nice.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 27-05-2024

(25-05-2024, 05:49 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: The engineer in Sydney who is certified in both NSW and QLD said that a 1991 van is assessed against 1991 standards. Not sure what to believe given that nearly every person I’ve talked to on the phone has said something different, but this guy did seem very knowledgeable overall and kept saying that he would be more strict that most engineers I’d find in QLD given the type of multi-state certification. Either way, his main concern was the seat because, as pointed out, the backrest is often plywood or something other than a full metal frame. His comment was “I’m not sure how that design ever passed”. Not sure what would be involved with changing the seat to high standard (and if this is possible with retaining bed comfort), but this is perhaps another mark against the 1991 due to QLD transfer hassle/uncertainty…

It is really not an engineer that you should be talking to. I really don't think that this guy knows what he is doing as according to him “I’m not sure how that design ever passed” which you could relate that to T3s not having air bags. You really need to get the information from QLD Transport. I have heard a lot of bs from engineers. They have no real training about this. It's like asking a builder about strata rules. They have no idea.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 27-05-2024

(27-05-2024, 10:14 AM)syncro Wrote: It is really not an engineer that you should be talking to. I really don't think that this guy knows what he is doing as according to him “I’m not sure how that design ever passed” which you could relate that to T3s not having air bags. You really need to get the information from QLD Transport. I have heard a lot of bs from engineers. They have no real training about this. It's like asking a builder about strata rules. They have no idea.

Thanks for the heads up. The quoted comment was in regards to the seat design specifically because of the lack of metal frame within.

Got in touch with Technical Enquiries and they did have Approval 83131 on file. This information was sent to the QLD certified engineer based in Sydney who said that he could use this information as basis for issuing QLD mod plate for seat change. For the pop-top mod plate he’d just have to inspect the lifting mechanic used for the roof but was confident that he’d be able to issue this QLD mod plate too. Waiting to hear back about price to do both. If so, this solves the transferring to QLD issue as it was have needed mod plates before leaving dealership. Would just need 240V cert once here, but that is easy. So this option remains appealing as still unsure what pre-sale inspection of 2010 T5 might turn up (although all videos sent by seller suggest it has been well looked after). Should be an interesting week of information gathering and decision making!

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 27-05-2024

(27-05-2024, 01:02 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Thanks for the heads up. The quoted comment was in regards to the seat design specifically because of the lack of metal frame within.

Got in touch with Technical Enquiries and they did have Approval 83131 on file. This information was sent to the QLD certified engineer based in Sydney who said that he could use this information as basis for issuing QLD mod plate for seat change. For the pop-top mod plate he’d just have to inspect the lifting mechanic used for the roof but was confident that he’d be able to issue this QLD mod plate too. Waiting to hear back about price to do both. If so, this solves the transferring to QLD issue as it was have needed mod plates before leaving dealership. Would just need 240V cert once here, but that is easy. So this option remains appealing as still unsure what pre-sale inspection of 2010 T5 might turn up (although all videos sent by seller suggest it has been well looked after). Should be an interesting week of information gathering and decision making!

Who issues the mod plate? In NSW we have to satisfy the blue slip inspector (a mechanic).

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 27-05-2024

(27-05-2024, 01:25 PM)syncro Wrote: Who issues the mod plate? In NSW we have to satisfy the blue slip inspector (a mechanic).

The guy I’ve been talking to was recommended by QLD Transport as he is certified to issue mod plates in NSW and QLD, so he can check and issue plates for van before leaving Sydney dealership, which would be ideal to have this done upfront. This would only leave the 240V certificate to get once back in Townsville, but that’s easy. The guy who is certified with QLD Transport in Sydney quoted $900 including GST to issue both needed mod plates based off the information attained today from NSW Technical Enquiries regarding the Approv 83131 plate. Might be able to get it cheaper if done here in Townsville but a bit of a gamble so if I go with the 1991 then probably keen to just get it done upfront so one less hurdle.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 27-05-2024

Just a cautionary word of advice......
Don't assume that 240V compliance will be easy....
A buddy of mine had his van's electrics certified recently.....just 'cause he wanted to.
Van was a Sopru Campmobile, never out of rego.
Inspector threw the book at him. 
Insisted that all/any GPO's were replaced with dual pole units, all wiring associated with 240V supply was to be replaced and a permanently fixed and appropriately located, ELCB fitted.

Assumptions are the Mother of all cockups !!
Good luck.