Kombi Club Australia
Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Printable Version

+- Kombi Club Australia (https://kombiclubaustralia.com)
+-- Forum: Help & Assistance (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: T3 Tech Clinic (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? (/showthread.php?tid=902)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 10-06-2024

Van passed roadworthy this morning with flying colors! Mobile mechanic said it was “the best Transporter I’ve ever seen” (in 10 years of doing roadworthy inspections). When he looked up into engine bay from the group he exclaimed “wow, that’s clean!”. Clearly no drips or weeps whatsoever during ~2000km drive home.

Asked him if I needed 240V electrical safety certificate to register and he said no, but I decided to email QLD Transport vehicle standards to double check and this is what they said:

“Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1 is intended to assist manufacturers of trailers with an aggregate trailer mass of 4.5 tonnes or less to understand the Australian Design Rule (ADR) requirements applying to the most common types of trailers that meet this condition. Please see the below information:

Chapter 7 - Electrical Wiring
                  In trailer electrical wiring, the ADRs and cited Australian Standards specify: 
• appropriate wiring installation
• the way in which an electrical ground should be provided
• plugs 
• plug wiring. 

7.1 - Wiring installation 
   Trailer wiring must: 
• be supported at intervals of not more than 600mm along its length
• be insulated at joints 
• be located so that it cannot become overheated or contact moving parts
• be protected from chafing. The edge of all holes in metal through which the wiring passes must be rolled or bushed with a rubber grommet or similar. An earth (ground) return wire between the trailer and its tow vehicle must be provided.

With the above in mind, we must point out that under 

7.3 - Other electrical systems, the following is stated:
Electrical installations on a trailer that are intended for connection to an AC power system other than that of the tow vehicle must comply with Australian Standard AS/NZS 3001:2008 Electrical installations – Transportable structures and vehicles including their site supplies.

Vehicle Standards would see no issue if you choose to employ the services of any certified electrician who can verify compliance to the above standards.

I hope this helps.”

To this I replied that my vehicle is a campervan not a trailer as well as clarified that my intention is to register as a “modified van” as opposed to a “campervan” because it doesn’t conform to the four criteria of the latter (no fixed stove). To this follow up inquiry they replied:

‘’The same information applies to motorhomes & campervans. You would need a certified electrician who can verify compliance to the standards.”

So still unsure if this is required for “modified van” registration? My mate recently sold and bought a caravan and both times he needed roadworthy and gas certificate but no request for electrical safety certificate, which leaves me wondering if I’ll get asked for it? Think I’ve found someone who can do it this week (before 14 day NSW rego transfer expires) but if it proves to be difficult to get on short notice then might roll the dice and see if it comes up during my registering it as a “modified van”.

Thanks heaps for any insights. But all in all, stoked that roadworthy was a breeze!  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 10-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 06:14 PM)Oldman Wrote: Too far……?
We’re coming up from the Northern Beaches Sydney  Wink
A mere 1300 ks each way, plus sidetrack trips along the way…..it’s all about the journey!

Will give it some serious thought but mid-week timing is challenging with work schedule. Might need to be a somewhat last minute decision once my crystal ball comes into focus  Tongue

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - kleinersyncro - 11-06-2024

Well done, seems to be a nice van  Smile

Just make sure you are running the correct specified oil for the 2.5L PD engine. These is the only issue that those PD's are very particular which oil to be used to avoid expensive engine failures. Unfortunately getting the correct specified oil locally seems a bit of a challenge here in down under. Mate of mine just went through this exercise for his 2.5L PD Touareg (same engine).

Otherwise solid car, happy driving  Cool

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 12-06-2024

(11-06-2024, 09:32 AM)kleinersyncro Wrote: Well done, seems to be a nice van  Smile

Just make sure you are running the correct specified oil for the 2.5L PD engine. These is the only issue that those PD's are very particular which oil to be used to avoid expensive engine failures. Unfortunately getting the correct specified oil locally seems a bit of a challenge here in down under. Mate of mine just went through this exercise for his 2.5L PD Touareg (same engine).

Otherwise solid car, happy driving  Cool

Thanks for the heads up. One of the documents I got with the van specifies the preferred oil type. Seems best to look online for this type and order it in for ~annual/10,00km change.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 12-06-2024

Time to start a new thread in the Member’s Rides Section……?
Tongue

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 14-06-2024

(12-06-2024, 08:03 PM)Oldman Wrote: Time to start a new thread in the Member’s Rides Section……?
Tongue

Reckon it is time to do so because van was successfully registered in QLD yesturday! Hurray!  Big Grin

No electrical safety certificate was requested although I had one completed by the sparkies here yesterday installing solar (good to have anyhow as the original electrical safety certificate seems to have gotten lost as it wasn’t provided to me but Frontline said they provided it to whoever the original buyer was). Stamp duty was a bit more than expected but that’s OK.

So now that all is done and dusted, it seems time to introduce the “Funulance” (i.e., ambulance turned funmobile) to the Member’s Rides section… Cool

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 14-06-2024

Congratulations!
One chapter ends………a new one starts.
Enjoy the ride.
Cool

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Barry - 14-06-2024

“Funulance”

I like it

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 16-06-2024

(14-06-2024, 07:54 AM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Stamp duty was a bit more than expected but that’s OK.
Did you get your refund on the NSW rego?

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 16-06-2024

(16-06-2024, 03:09 PM)syncro Wrote: Did you get your refund on the NSW rego?

Nah. Talked to Services NSW and to get the refund the process was quite involved and would likely have costed me more than the refund. In the end, not worth the effort for about $100.