Kombi Club Australia
Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Printable Version

+- Kombi Club Australia (https://kombiclubaustralia.com)
+-- Forum: Help & Assistance (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: T3 Tech Clinic (https://kombiclubaustralia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? (/showthread.php?tid=902)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 02-06-2024

(01-06-2024, 02:46 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: “drive it for 14 days before transferring registration”? Drive it on NSW plates? But wouldn’t this still be linked to seller’s name and not mine?
Regarding stamp duty, do they typically go off the sales receipt value or the blue book value? This could make a big difference in amount of stamp duty at $2 per $100 of value.

Yes you do not have to transfer the registration for 14 days. Just drive it home with the NSW plates and keep driving it in QLD for 14 days. Have a look at the back of your registration papers.

They go off the highest value for stamp duty.

When I bought my Audi in Brisbane they registered it at my Sydney address. (QLD rego). It saved me a lot of money.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 06:43 AM)syncro Wrote: Yes you do not have to transfer the registration for 14 days. Just drive it home with the NSW plates and keep driving it in QLD for 14 days. Have a look at the back of your registration papers.

They go off the highest value for stamp duty.

When I bought my Audi in Brisbane they registered it at my Sydney address. (QLD rego). It saved me a lot of money.

Thanks for the insightful reply. Good to know that NSW rego can be “signed over” to me for 14 days use before switching to QLD. Think it has 5 months rego left so maybe worthwhile to go the unregistered vehicle permit so that seller can get rego refund and pass that to me (eg, to cover stamp duty). Will see how it goes later today when we get there  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - syncro - 02-06-2024

(02-06-2024, 07:29 AM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Thanks for the insightful reply. Good to know that NSW rego can be “signed over” to me for 14 days use before switching to QLD. Think it has 5 months rego left so maybe worthwhile to go the unregistered vehicle permit so that seller can get rego refund and pass that to me (eg, to cover stamp duty). Will see how it goes later today when we get there  Big Grin

No. You hand the NSW plates in and you get the refund. I have never heard of anyone doing this the way you want to. The refund is only a proportion of the CTP. Probably as much as the permit. Probably lucky to get $100 back.

Have you ever bought a car privately before? When you buy a car you do not hand the plates in or transfer the registration before you drive it. You can just drive it for 14 days until you get everything sorted. I think no plates may cause more problems when you try to get it registered in QLD.

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 09-06-2024

(01-06-2024, 01:02 PM)syncro Wrote: You can drive it for 14 days before you have to transfer the registration. Find out if it is cheaper to transfer it in NSW or QLD. I think QLD is cheaper. I bought a car in QLD and saved a lot of money by transferring it in QLD to my NSW address. I then transferred it to NSW rego within the 14 days. You only have to pay the stamp duty once.

G’day all,

So the decision was made to go with the 2007 I5 4motion TDI Frontline conversion van from Evans Head NSW. After seeing just how good the condition was and how well it drives (plus the original engineering certificate) this seemed the clear choice over the 1991 T3 (upon close inspection of photos on Sunday night there was a lot more discoloration on the ceiling of 1991 that initially noticed). Got local mechanic to check it out on Tuesday morning and after getting his blessing, signed over the rego and drove it back, camping three nights on the way (Hervey Bay, 1770, and Camilla Beach). Amazing experience! Possibly the best sunsets seen to date at 1770 and Camilla Beach campgrounds. Once we started camping in it, the Frontline conversion is even better than initially thought. Seems hardly used! Feeling very lucky how the timing worked out. Sellers were lovely people, which made the whole experience far more enjoyable (reckon our connection/friendship will continue).

QLD Transport got back to be after about 3 days with a letter stating that all conversions done by Frontline (as per original engineering certificate: pop-top, rear seats, swivel passengers seat, and windows) are approved, so no need to mess with QLD mod plate/engineer. Whew! Have roadworthy booked in for tomorrow so here’s hoping that goes smoothly. Just need to finalize electrician to do 240v pass thru safety certificate but it seems like the electricians coming to install solar on Thursday can likely do it but, if not, shouldn’t be a drama to find someone local who can do it this week (works fine with all modern plugs and breaker plus breaker on lead that plugs into mains at campsite). Put two new tires on it in Hervey Bay as the rear tires were from 2011 (that’s how little it has been used since purchased from Frontline) so didn’t want to run the risk of a flat on the drive back (plus these would likely have failed roadworthy anyhow).

Fits perfectly in carport (think this will hold true with roof racks mounted). We did initially have roof rack on it but rather suddenly on Day 2 of drive homeward they started making a very audible whistling noise so we took them off at Brunswick Heads. Noticed that the Rhino Rack logo wasn’t facing the same direction on both racks (eg, facing forward) so thinking maybe this caused the whistling? Or perhaps their positioning on the roof caused it?

All in all, very happy with how things turned out. Looking forward to a camping trip planned for next weekend with some mates to a local spot to check out.

Thanks again for everyone’s insights throughout this process, very helpful and appreciated  Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Oldman - 09-06-2024

Congratulations!
Enjoy the ride…… Cool

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Melissa - 09-06-2024

Well done! How about joining us for Bus Stop next year?

……..at Elliot Heads, (near Bundaberg)
…..in case you haven’t seen the thread about the Bus Stop 2025.
Big Grin

RE: Move T3 pop-top into QLD? - Krazywaffle - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 05:32 PM)Oldman Wrote: ……..at Elliot Heads, (near Bundaberg)
…..in case you haven’t seen the thread about the Bus Stop 2025.
Big Grin

Oh yeah? When in 2025? That isn’t too far so definitely a possibility  Big Grin

Have a read….. Big Grin
https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=860

(09-06-2024, 06:02 PM)Krazywaffle Wrote: Oh yeah? When in 2025? That isn’t too far so definitely a possibility  Big Grin

Too far……?
We’re coming up from the Northern Beaches Sydney  Wink
A mere 1300 ks each way, plus sidetrack trips along the way…..it’s all about the journey!